Colder July Than Last Year Showing In Gas Consumption

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

Wow, that's big percentage reduction just for changing a boiler. That old boiler must have had some size of a pilot light 😂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg

Wow, that's big percentage reduction just for changing a boiler. That old boiler must have had some size of a pilot light 😂
    Yep it was a 25 year old monster complete with a large copper tank. I swapped it for a little combi. I know combi's aren't everyone's favourite, but hey ho. 👴
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

Everyone’s favourite or not, you can’t argue with the facts 👍
    Community Team
    That is some saving @WizzyWigg it just goes to show how older appliances can be energy vampires.

There's lots of information here about replacement boilers, the top part is all about how much it would cost etc but if you scroll further down it shows signs to look out for that you may need to replace your boiler, there's also a guide to how much you could save by getting a new boiler that I thought might be quite useful for some 😊
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

My boiler is 35 years old and has spark ignition. Despite it being less efficient than a modern condensing boiler the annual saving don't financially justify the swap. I'd need to have a system boiler, not a combi because i have a hot water tank heated in the summer by my thermal solar panel.

Name:  longtermgas..jpg
Views: 287
Size:  55.0 KB

this graph is of my long term gas consumption in by volume (/000 cu.ft.. each unit =31.6 kWh approx.). You can see that my summer gas (cooking and water heating when the sun don't shine) is very low indeed. Can you guess when the solar panel was installed? My annual consumption is highly related to the severity of the winter.

Water temperature entering the house doesn't vary much from winter to summer and virtually nil from one summer to the next. But using more hot water might be the answer you seek.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 02-08-23 at 12:03.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Well, now I have a full month's usage, easily taken from my handy IHD 😉, I can now see I consumed 7% more gas than in July 2022, That is disappointing as a stand-alone comparison. However, when comparing this July's usage to the same month in 2021, I can see a 31% reduction in usage. My conclusion is that I had a very good July last year as far as consumption goes.

My next statement is due in a few day's time so I will be able to see for definite how much I have saved in the last 12 months compared to the 12 months before that. From my IHD figures I have used 26% less electricity and 18% less gas. Rough calculations show a saving of around £1100 👍
    Level 91
    Can you guess when the solar panel was installed?

Was it late 2007/early 2008 by any chance?
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Bonus point for @JoeSoap. I'd offer you some sweeties but I know you're under instruction not to partake. But Trevento Malbec red was on offer in Tesco last week and 25% off 6 bottles. Wine of this strength will be going up 44p per bottle as stock leaves the bonded warehouse, so I think I'd recommend ploughing some of your savings into that.before the increased prices hit the shops.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Ah, if only it was just sweeties I'm abstaining from. I saw the Tesco wine offer but I've had to cut down on alcohol too. I still have many bottles of wine left from the last time I stocked up gathering dust but at least that makes them look like classics 😂. I save my measly units for the odd trip to the pub as I'd rather drink water at home than when I'm out.

I did a quick internet search which bolstered my theory about the amount of energy required to heat domestic water differing considerably between hot months and cold months due to the incoming water temperature. I still believe it played some part in my increased gas consumption this cool July over last year's scorching one.
    Level 91
    Ok, this thread was about my gas consumption in July being more than it was last July in spite of me having taken steps to reduce my consumption since the beginning of last August. I did reduce my gas consumption as a whole by over 20% over the last 12 months but not in July.

I have just compared August consumption compared to last year. I would expect little difference as our energy habits have been the same for 13 months now. My electricity was close at 4% less than last August but my gas consumption is up by 21%. Two months in a row is less likely to be some kind of a fluke.

All I can think of now is that I had my annual boiler service at the beginning of July and I'm wondering if the engineer did the gas boiler equivalent of tweaking the carburettor to make the mixture richer 🤔. Maybe I'll see what happens in September and if the pattern continues I'll have to get the engineer out again to have a look before winter sets in. Oh joy.