Announcement on National Grid Demand Flexibility Service (DFS)

Level 2
    @PeterT_EONNext wow, the advertising on this is very poor. I'd love to have signed up and perhaps a heads up in something that we all get, like oh I don't know, our bills maybe, instead of a forum I didn't even know existed until today.
    I'm still interested but have no idea if I can still sign up.
    Community Team
    Hi @GreyWhite07

We can mention this on here, being a public forum, but the Demand Flexibility Service set up by National Grid is something suppliers have to sign up to.

Once signed up, we can then contact those of our customers that are part of the two following criteria:

1. We're receiving half-hourly data from your Smart Meter and have a consistent, 30 day rolling record of this data

2. You're opted-in to receiving marketing information from us

As this is a service offered by a third party, we're unable to print this en-mass on our bills, as we would then be 'marketing' to those for a service, which some people won't have opted in for, and we'd therefore be breaking the rules 😬

There's been media coverage about the Demand Flexibility Service and there's also information available on our blog (linked from the main page of our website) which can be found here
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 1
    Having to switch on third party advertising consent just so that people are allowed to join this scheme is disgusting given the hardships everyone is going through.

There is no reason why you couldn't have added a specific option to your website for 'energy shift notifications' then let all your customers know that you've updated the website with more options. That'd probably have required some effort on eon's part though.

So I've enabled the marketing options on my account now, how do I go about signing up or checking if I'm eligible? Have I missed the boat or does someone at eon/NG pull names out of a hat?

Level 92
    So I've enabled the marketing options on my account now, how do I go about signing up or checking if I'm eligible? Have I missed the boat or does someone at eon/NG pull names out of a hat?

As this is currently just a trial to test the systems and not a fully developed scheme, if you are invited to participate, you will get an email.

Once the fully developed system goes live, possibly next winter, it will be open to all qualifying customers. In the meantime, just wait for the email.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    Hi @IanW

If you go to your online account and then head to 'Profile' you will see all of your details on that page. From there, you'll be able to see near the bottom of the page what your Smart Meter settings are set to (usually monthly or daily by default, as you have to opt in to half-hourly reads) you can then change this from there.
    OK Peter - so, I don't see a Profile button on my menu??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Community Team
    Hi @amacqueen

You'll need to scroll down to the bottom of your online account to see the 'profile' option 😊
    Community Team
    Hi @Vaga222

I appreciate where you're coming from in relation to how we've had to go about notifying our customers in relation to the Energy Shift/Demand Flexibility Service.

As it's classed as a marketable service provided by National Grid, we can't just contact our customers about this unless they're opted-in to receive marketing communications from us I'm afraid.

Instead, this is being advertised on the very front page of our website which can be found in the image below to make those aware that we've signed up to the scheme with National Grid:

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-12 15.04.20.png
Views: 297
Size:  58.7 KB
    Level 92
    Latest from National Grid taken from BBC today.

National Grid has stood down two coal plants that it had put on standby to generate electricity in case supplies were disrupted because of cold weather.
    The company had asked Drax, which owns Britain's biggest power station, to prepare two coal-fired units on Monday.
    It is still planning to run a test of its scheme that offers discounts on bills for households who cut peak-time electricity use on Monday evening.
    The move comes as the UK experiences a snap of freezing temperatures.
    It means demand for energy rises as more people heat their homes, and a lack of wind has reduced the amount of renewable energy available.
    It is understood because of the cold temperatures, Monday will be the highest demand day for electricity so far this winter.
    National Grid said earlier on Monday that while it had asked Drax to warm up its two coal-fired units at its site near Selby, North Yorkshire, the plants might not be used. It confirmed at lunchtime the power station had been told to stand down.

It said households should "continue to use energy as normal".
    Level 5
    Next Q .. having now checked, I was already opted onto marketing emails and hh meter rdgs, but I haven't been invited into the DFS?