Estimated Annual Consumption Over the Years

• Tags for this Thread
  • usage
View Tag Cloud
    Level 21
    Two ATX on standby plus two monitors on standby, plus powered audio all seem in total to be using 7.3 Watts as pictured just now. RMS current of 0.15 Amps implying 36 Watts indicates an attrociously poor power factor; mostly rushing in and out of capacitors I'd expect.
    I keep this lot normally off at the wall. If you intend to go around the house looking for bill reductions then the plug in power monitor in the picture is really useful for that.
    Name:  p2110socketC.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  18.5 KBName:  p2111powerC.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  71.4 KBName:  p2112monitorsC.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  88.8 KBName:  p2113atxC.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  116.6 KB
    Last edited by wizzo227; 11-10-23 at 20:10. Reason: picture shrinking
    Level 92
    Probably consuming well over 1kWh a day then?

My brand new A+++ rated BEKO fridge-freezer says 435kWh per annum on the energy rating sticker. That's about 1.2kWh per day, so I would expect pretty much that sort of ballpark figure for a similar appliance.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    My brand new A+++ rated BEKO fridge-freezer says 435kWh per annum on the energy rating sticker. That's about 1.2kWh per day, so I would expect pretty much that sort of ballpark figure for a similar appliance.

So that's 50w average continuous consumption all year. @Mailman says his FF burns 50w only when the compressor kicks in. Maybe they just have to assume it burns all it can continuously when advising of the annual consumption.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    Two ATX on standby plus two monitors on standby, plus powered audio all seem in total to be using 7.3 Watts as pictured just now. RMS current of 0.15 Amps implying 36 Watts indicates an attrociously poor power factor; mostly rushing in and out of capacitors I'd expect.
    I keep this lot normally off at the wall. If you intend to go around the house looking for bill reductions then the plug in power monitor in the picture is really useful for that.
    Name:  p2110socketC.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  18.5 KBName:  p2111powerC.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  71.4 KBName:  p2112monitorsC.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  88.8 KBName:  p2113atxC.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  116.6 KB

So, even so the power monitor shows a consumption of 7.3w you think the actual consumption is 36w? If that's correct then doesn't that defeat the object of the monitor?
    Level 21
    @JoeSoap
    Actual power consumption I(t)V(t).dt measured was 7.3 Watts.
    I on its own was 0.15 Amps rms, but miss-timed against V(t). 0.24kV*0.15 Amps implies 0.036 kW.
    There is a textbook electrical engineering explaination which usually calls that discrepancy a "power factor"
    One gainful help from a plug-in monitor like this is to get a better view than would the total on the coffee table display with your SMETS2 "smart" meter. With an imperfect waveform like this one going through the same household total meter outside as the slightly lagging waveform from the fridge motor, the Watts won't add up quite right.
    Level 91
    @wizzo227

So would the energy you pay for be closer to 7.3w or 36w? It’s a big difference.
    Level 91
    I computed the reduction in consumption by replacing my freezer @ 2.1 kWh per day from mid November 2022. The ongoing effect is clear in my earlier graphs.

Appliances that use power give off heat. A through plug RCD device was warm even with nothing plugged in. A while ago eon supplied a device that was mouse controlled which powered 3 devices. when one (the computer) was switched off, then the printer and monitor went off too.

Using the energy monitor I went round all the plugged in devices and measured consumption over several days. I then decided whether they stayed on or not. My conclusion -the little red light on stanby appliances means "possible danger to bank balance"
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

I remember your old freezer used a lot of energy but I couldn't remember how much. What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is does the amount of consumption showing on the power monitor match what you get billed for. As interesting as @wizzo227's answers are, I'm none the wiser.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

how accurate is the power monitor? Accurate enough for me. I tended to record for several days to get a better , more reliable , reading. Using an IHD is not too precise for an individual appliance unless you can absolutely be sure of disconnecting everything else.
    Level 21
    @JoeSoap
    7.3 Watts should be billed for that group of two PC's and two monitors on standby incl. the audio. The other stuff going through in between the peaks of the mains Voltage doesn't count. 7.3 Watts wasted is enough that I switch that whole group off at night time. Had I not bothered to, expected standby use would be about 0.175 kWh in 24 hours; 64kWh/year; £20 per year, which is too much for my "turn it off stupid!" tolerance. In the daytime while there is free solar, I'll sometimes have a few computers busy using a lot more, that being locally generated locally used solar power which is free and warms the room up too.

By the way, my fridge must be a lot smaller than yours; it seems to use less power.