Incorrect gas bill - bad customer service!

Level 1
    - I moved into my new home in approximately April 2022 this year.
    - I joined e-on next.
    - I informed e-on next that I do not have a gas metre that is working, so I need it either repairing or a new one installing.
    - e-on next said I need to have a smart metre installed to resolve this issue, as there wasn't/isn't anyone available to repair/replace the current gas metre, which I didn't/don't believe.
    - I informed e-on next that I do not need a smart metre, I just need the gas metre repairing or replacing.
    - During the past 8 months e-on next didn't contact me once about resolving this issue, instead they bombarded me with getting a smart metre.
    - A few days ago they sent me an estimated gas bill, saying I owe X amount of money for my gas usage since April.
    - This gas bill is absurdly incorrect, based on the fact that I was away the past 2 months, and the fact the heating was barely on from April-October. It was on maybe for approximately 30 minutes during these months! Hot water was used maybe 5 minutes a day for a shower/washing up.

I have filed a complaint but got no where with it at the moment.
    Any advice?

Many thanks!
  • 25 Replies

Level 92
    @oL1

Keep records of your communications. If no reply, escalate it to ceo@eonnext.com.

You will either get a resolution or a deadlock letter. When you get the deadlock letter, escalate your issue to the energy ombudsman.

Personally, I would have just taken the smart meter when offered just to make sure you weren't on estimated bills. Alternatively, estimated my own gas consumption and made additional payments to the account so as not to be in financial shock when a meter reading did finally happen.

Older meters are obsolete. Ofgem rules say that they should be replaced with smart unless there is a perfectly valid reason not to. Customer preference is not actually a very valid reason. Lack of connectivity to the networks is, but as they no longer have stock of legacy meters or spares, they would simply fit a smart meter and have it run in non-smart mode.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @t4cett

To be fair, they're all much of a muchness. Bring back regional gas and electric boards, I say.
    Community Manager
    Hello @oL1 Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry to hear that you've not had a great experience since you have come over, we are no longer replacing meters with the older versions and any new meters installed will be a smart meter, the old meters have been phased out so that part is correct. To fix this issue we will have to install a smart meter, you don't have to use it as a smart meter if you don't want to, you can still check the meter reads as you have always done and you don't need to use the IHD although it is handy to monitor your usage.

We will estimate your bill based on previous energy usage and if we don't have any previous usage the estimate may not be accurate but it is just that an estimate the system won't know if you have been away and used less but we can re estimate for you based on previous usage with your older supplier.

My advice would be to get your smart meter installed as soon as possible to make sure you are only paying for energy that you use. I'm not sure if other suppliers are installing like for like meters but I doubt it as its the governments aim to install smart meters for everyone and they simple aren't made like the were so would be in very short supply for people that are not able to have smart meters due to connectivity issues.

I can have a look to see what is happening with your complaint for you 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 1
    @Anasa_EONNext
    Thanks for your response.
    It is not a legal requirement to have a smart metre installed.
    Your colleague on the phone said they can 'repair' it, but no one is available at the moment to do that. You said I have to have a smart metre. Which one of you is lying? Or are you both lying?
    Yeah I would love to know what is happening with the complaint thank you.
    How to resolve this issue?
    Either repair the gas metre or I will switch to a provider who will repair it.
    Also we need to negotiate the ridiculous 'estimated gas bill'.
    Failing this I will go all the way to court to dispute this issue.
    Thank you for your time.
    Level 5
    I also have an incorrect gas bill. Seriously this needs to be resolved. The overcharge occurred just the same month as my smart meter got installed. It's really unbelievable and I hope someone in the customer service will actually get around to assisting me with this incorrect billing.
    Level 5
    I've been paying my bill every single month and this was charged in addition to my November bill over 3 weeks ago. It still has not been resolved after I have repeatedly contacted Eon Next Customer Service.

If this charge of 300£ is not resolved soon then yes, I will definitely be contacting BOTH the energy ombudsman and CEO of Eon Next.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 92
    @pokejacket1

Doesn't look right. Can you also post your meter read history? If you have been billed on estimates prior to having the meter upgraded, then perhaps they'd just updated final figures when they actually had access to the meters. Had you been submitting regular monthly readings up to the change?
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 17-12-22 at 17:09.