Direct debit fiasco

Level 9
    I received an email on 7 Oct to say I was in debt and threatening to set debt collectors on me if I didn't pay immediately. I fired back an immediate response with proof that I had set up a variable dd with EON and with my bank. I heard nothing back. So on 17 Oct I emailed the CEO Michael Lewis. I had nothing, not so much as an acknowledgment from his office. But I did get a very patronising phone call where I again and again tried to get them to accept what I was saying. The call ended with no resolution. I simply don't know what to do next. For any customer this is an appalling situation but I am 75 and terminally ill, and really don't need this aggravation. If anyone can suggest where i go next please tell me.
    Last edited by Chusty; 21-10-22 at 10:54. Reason: minor key error
  • 55 Replies

Level 91
    @Chusty

Sorry to hear of your situation and of the distress this is causing you. There is a guide to making complaints here but you've already emailed the CEO. I know they are extremely busy still with all the changes going on.

All I can think of is to tag @Beki_EONNext to see if she can offer any advice or assistance.

I hope you get this resolved soon.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @Chusty

If you check with your bank, can they confirm that a direct debit in favour of E.On Next is in place. I've known several people have tried to set up direct debits and because of an incorrect sort code or account number it doesn't get processed properly. If the detail is wrong, the DD can't be collected from your account.

Of course, that may not be the explanation and the DD could already be in place. If so, your ire is entirely justified.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 9
    @meldrewreborn Yes it is all correctly set up. I have taken screenshots of both my eon and bank account proving it, but I can't get anyone to understand.
    Level 9
    @JoeSoap Thank you, the daft thing is I am perfectly well able to settle the amount owing. i could pay by phone using my card but I'm digging my heels in now. If they want to play silly beggars so can I.
    Level 18
    @Chusty
    With your issues with E.on Next now over 2 weeks old and the talk of debt collectors, I personally think you are playing a dangerous game in "digging your heels in ".
    Your credit score could well be affected which I am sure you would not want . I would get the outstanding debt paid and then discuss the matter with them. At least then ,E.on Next would not be able to hold a debt situation over you.
    I worked in finance for many years as a Credit Manager and I know how bad debts can escalate
    Last edited by Johnh1995; 21-10-22 at 23:26.
    Level 9
    I understand what you are saying but I'm not being awkward for the sake of it. I am sufficiently aware of myself that I have realised my capacities are failing. I use dd for all my regular bills precisely so that I don't have to worry about forgetting to pay bills, or making mistakes. I could of course pay the outstanding bill of about £65 but that rather defeats my object of getting eon to apply the dd. If I pay the bill they will have no need to apply it ever. The dd is all set up and just needs eon to do whatever it takes from their end. plus the main issue is that i can't get anyone to even discuss the issue with me despite all my efforts. I sent off another email to the CEO last night in hopes someone might eventually respond.
    Last edited by Chusty; 22-10-22 at 07:54. Reason: additional remark
    Level 10
    @Chusty

I have every sympathy with your situation, I've had the experience too of speaking with the customer service team and being given an obviously incorrect explanation for a billing problem, but nothing is done or taken on board. It's like talking to a brick wall. Like you said, it's an appalling situation to be in but you really don't need this aggravation. It's your choice, but in your shoes I think I might pay the bill and buy myself another month for E.ON Next to get the DD sorted out without the threat of debt collectors hanging over me. Whatever happens, I really hope it all gets sorted out for you soon. Maybe one of the forum Community Managers here would be kind enough to step in and take a quick look at your account to see what's happened?
    Level 56
    I received an email on 7 Oct to say I was in debt and threatening to set debt collectors on me if I didn't pay immediately. I fired back an immediate response with proof that I had set up a variable dd with EON and with my bank. I heard nothing back. So on 17 Oct I emailed the CEO Michael Lewis. I had nothing, not so much as an acknowledgment from his office. But I did get a very patronising phone call where I again and again tried to get them to accept what I was saying. The call ended with no resolution. I simply don't know what to do next. For any customer this is an appalling situation but I am 75 and terminally ill, and really don't need this aggravation. If anyone can suggest where i go next please tell me.

I have been paying by Variable DD for a number of months now. The following are the screenshots you you should be seeing from your online account if it has been setup correctly.

In Account Summary Section expect to see:

Name:  MyBills_Variable.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  18.4 KB

In the 'Manage my Payments' section expect to see another confirmation that Variable DD is active with Account Name and Account Number (only last 4 digits showing)

Name:  Payment_Details.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  48.9 KB

Finally on your last bill, it should state the following

Name:  Balance.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  21.7 KB

If none of these screens are what you see on your account/bill, it is highly likely that the Direct Debit has not been set up correctly/Eon Next have made an error. As suggested by others a phone call @ 9am when they open on Monday might be the fastest way to get a resolution to a worrying email. You might also need to think about a one-off payment to zeroise your account balance in the very near future so as to call off the debt hounds and get back to being stress-free.
    Last edited by Mailman; 22-10-22 at 08:44.
    Level 9
    I have all that except the last screen. They have my bank account details correct and my bank account shows a dd set up for eon (with nothing added to it) I will try and ring them Mon 9am but it is so difficult when you have poor hearing and so many call centres have staff with strong accents.