It's Burns Night - Haggis, neeps and tatties anyone?

Community Team
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HaggisNeepsTatties.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	3151

It's Burns Night in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 This is a day when Scots like me celebrate our national bard Robert Burns. At a traditional Burns Supper guests are piped in with the bagpipes. On the table are usually favours of Scottish tablet or shortbread. Once everyone is seated "The Selkirk Grace" is recited:

"Some hae meat and canna eat,
    And some wad eat that want it;
    But we hae meat, and we can eat
    Sae let the Lord be thankit."

Traditionally it's a starter of soup, scotch broth or 🐔-a-leekie. Next up is the parade of the Chieftan Haggis where the haggis is piped into the room and placed on the ceremonial table. The haggis is then addressed, this is where the host performs the poem by Burns "Address to a haggis" and then plunges the haggis open ready to serve, there's some fantastic YouTube videos of the ceremony if you want to see it in action!

The main meal is served, which consists of haggis, neeps (turnips) & tatties (potatoes), followed by dessert which is usually cranachan, then cheese 🧀 and oatcakes. Have you ever tried haggis or will you be having haggis this evening?

Then it's time for a "Toast to the Lassies," this is traditionally a toast of thanks from the males attending the supper to the women in their lives. More poems are recited and it's often followed by a bit of a ceilidh 🕺💃. At the end of the night everyone sings "Auld Lang Syne" All in all it's a fun night and brings everyone together!

Have you ever attended a Burns Supper or a Scottish ceilidh or even better have you hosted one?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
  • 11 Replies

Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

never attended a supper but I think the military have them every year.

wasn’t Burns a prolific womaniser? Perhaps that why some celebrate him so much, rather than his verse.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 39
    @DebF_EONNext

With living only 50 miles from the Scottish border, and being of Scottish descent. I've visited Scotland many times, but have never been to a Burns Night Supper. My dad knew Rabbie Burns's poems and The Selkirk Grace. Thinking back, he and his brothers used to recite them at the family gatherings on Hogmanay, and he'd also have a wee dram on Burns Night. I won't be having haggis, neeps and tatties this evening. Here in Northumberland, minced beef and dumplings with neeps and tatties is a traditional favourite meal, I think I'll make that at the weekend. Yummy.

Enjoy your Burns Night. 'Slainte'.🥃🥂😃

Name:  burns-night-25-january-shiny-happy-people-photography-580x401.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  82.0 KB
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 25-01-24 at 11:08.
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

In the military, Burns Night was/is celebrated. I only remember the celebrations taking place, with any ceremony, in the Sgts' and Officers' messes. In spite of being born in Scotland I never actually attended for reasons that escape me. The last time I had haggis was perhaps 35 years ago when I had a haggis supper from a Scottish chip shop. It was like a thick battered sausage and they also offered black or white pudding done the same way. As tasty as it was, it removed the skin from the roof of my mouth.

For those who are a bit squeamish or don't eat meat, veggie haggis is available at some supermarkets and I'm told the Simon Howie stuff is good.

Happy Burns Night.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Community Team
    @meldrewreborn you could be right. He was also a Taxman (but we won't talk about that 😅)
    @Tommysgirl that sounds delicious I love mince and dumplings! It's funny how days like this bring back memories of childhood etc, I remember doing Tam o' Shanter in school and playing a witch 😂
    @JoeSoap I prefer the vegetarian haggis, I usually have Halls instead of Simon Howie it's a bit spicier I think. White pudding supper is my go to chippy order it's lovely!
    Level 92
    @DebF_EONNext

I was hoping to bag a wild haggis this year but it's been too warm and they haven't migrated this far south this season.

So a wee shop-bought one for me this year. Tatties, yes, but I'm not a fan of 'neeps' so I'm having mine sliced, pan fried and served with chips. My Granny hailed from Scotland ( although she mostly lived this side of the Antonine Wall) and she'd be turning in her grave if she saw my less than traditional interpretation 🤣🤣🤣
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 25-01-24 at 12:37.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Haha @retrotecchie, I used to work in a sandwich shop near Edinburgh Castle. We would regularly have tourists from all over the world come in asking where they could find wild haggis, I would always send them to Arthur's Seat 😂

I like the sound of your version! Haggis is also lovely on pizza or in taco's 😋 and of course washed down with a wee dram or two! "Sláinte Mhath" 🥂
    Level 91
    @DebF_EONNext

13 Pregnancies with 5 Women, and only 37 when he died. He lived his life to the full didn't he? A balanced appraisal here:

The truth about Burns - Scottish Poetry Library

EDIT: According to the radio its also some Saints day in Wales - dint catch the name fully - I'm sure @retrotecchie will advise as its cause for double celebration for him.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 25-01-24 at 13:01.
    Community Team
    @meldrewreborn I wonder which of these women he wrote "My Love is like a red red rose" for?!

My Great Great Grandfather had 21 children with 2 women 😅 I know many Irish have big families but he certainly didn't disappoint in that department 😂
    Level 39
    @meldrewreborn

Rabbie Burns did seem to live life to the full.

I saw something on BBC Red Button News about the Welsh Saints Day today, Saint Dwynwen, my apologies to @retrotecchie if I've spelt it incorrectly. It said on there, that she's the Welsh patron saint of love, but was unlucky in love herself. Like you, I'm sure @retrotecchie will be able to advise, and confirm if what's on Red Button News is right or not.