Problem with IHD - initially not showing gas history, now not connecting

Level 1
    @retrotecchie thanks. I realised the 30mins aspect but not the battery life. Sgane they couldn't be connected to electricity to avoid need for replacing.

Odd, though, that initial problem was receiving 30mins updates successfully but these being lost when I looked back a day or asked for week / month aggregation. Similarly, EON App is not showing gas use for about a week.
    Level 92
    @TWhits

It would have made sense to power the gas meters from the electricity, but that would entail extra safety arrangements with isolation and the need to have access to a suitable plug in point for the meter...not easily doable in an external meter cubby!

You would have thought that the communications hub could have a wired connection to the gas meter but again, for logistics and safety purposes it's a bit complicated!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie Maybe I was being overly ambitious but where access to electricity was simple, it would save the problem of sending someone round just to replace a battery! Oh hum.

Still no gas reading on the app. I know the 48 hours had not yet passed but I tried again to reboot the IHD next to the meter and it is still failing.

Thanks for your help.
    Community Team
    @TWhits Hey

Any updates on this? I would say customer service is the best place to find out what is actually going on. Can I just also check what re-boot instructions you have been given?

Do you know if your device is under warranty? or if your meters have lost communication with us? The warranty is 12 months from install, I can check this for you if you wish?
    Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over
    here!
    📣
    Level 1
    @Lee_EONNext thanks for response. I think I might be in touch with some part of customer service but the relationships among the various EON channels are not clear to me.

I was told an "update" would be sent to our device ... presumably our smart meter or comms hub whetever that is. I then switch off the IHD using the button for a few seconds. I take IHD near to electricity meter and switch it back on, leave about 10mins and hopefully, it all works again.

Does this sound right?

Our IHD is over 1 year old so probably out of the warranty you mention but I thought the smart meters - which we assume means the electricity meter, the gas meter, and the IHD - are owned by, and the responsibility of, EON.

Given the EON App isn't showing gas usage for about a week, I am hoping it is a problem with the meters or the comms and this "update" will fix it. The IHD seems to be functioning but not establishing connection but who knows?
    Level 1
    I have just responded to the EON Chat that told me they had sent our device an "update", to wait 48 hours, and to try again .....

48 hours have now passed and nothing seems to have changed. I followed your instructions and the IHD has been sat for the last 10-15 minutes within a foot or two of the electricity meter steadily cycling through the "welcome to our smart meter" and "waiting for current data" displays.

Related to this, we have looked at the EON App which we downloaded to our Smart Phone and that is not showing any gas information since 5th December. Does this mean that the gas readings have not reached EON since that date?

The reading on the gas meter itself shows a plausible reading with our gas use per day comparable with last year which suggests that it is still recording our gas consumption.

What happens now?
    Community Team
    @TWhits Do you know if your gas and electric meters are sending us reads?

With regards to the IHD and who it's owned by, good question, obviously if you buy one it's yours and you would own that. When they are installed with the meter, we would just appreciate people leaving them with the meter as that's what they are for.

The issue is, once the IHD's go over 12 months we do not replace them. The same as if you paid for one, these come with 12 months warranty etc. The fact your is cycling through trying to connect, leads me to suspect the meters are not communicating.

Ask customer services to try and read the meter, if they can then the IHD is faulty. If we can't read the meter then it would lead us to a communications (comms) issue.

I'm back to work Sunday after today, if you haven't had a reply from customer service by then, let me know and I will take a look for you.
    Level 1
    Thank you for your message. As I mentioned, the EON App is not showing any gas information since 5th December and I have asked above if EON are receiving the meter reads, but no response as yet.

On the IHD, it was supplied by EON along with the smart electricity and the gas meters. As you say, the expectation for IHD and the two meters is that they are provided as part of the contract to supply energy and should remain with the property. We would, therefore, expect any faults in any of the three bits of kit to be repaired or the equipment replaced as a part of the service for which we pay monthly. Hopefully, this will not be an "issue" as it does seem to appear that the communications is the problem and not the IHD itself.

I am quite confused by all the various channels of contact and different people picking up on the same chat offering to help but then asking me to re-verify who I am and, apparently, not reading the previous exchanges.

Enjoy your days off and I hope to hear further on your return ..... if others haven't made progress before then.
    Level 1
    I had another EON person respond and he said he would update our meter. I asked what the previous person who had sent an update had done but was confused by the answer. He said our meter could not have been updated as it wouldn't have let him do it again but "100%" that person had updated it - which sounds contradictory.

We tried to reset the IHD around 5pm yesterday - nothing happened but we decided to leave it trying. An hour or two later, it had figures appear!!!! I checked the IHD and the figures looked plausible and so we left it overnight to be sure. This morning it had lost gas usage from some of the previous days. 😞 I left it whilst I had breakfast etc and, miraculously, the figures changed to look more plausible. I note, however that the EON App still has no gas reading since 5th December but the other Apps I downloaded now seem to be getting some readings after that. I guess the data is filtering through as the communications recover.

We will keep our fingers crossed as it is not 100% sorted but it is definitely getting there. Thank you for your help.
    Level 91
    ... I note, however that the EON App still has no gas reading since 5th December but the other Apps I downloaded now seem to be getting some readings after that. I guess the data is filtering through as the communications recover...

I had a loss of comms, as well as other ongoing issues (see here for a flavour), and once things were put right I was left with a data gap for the entire period in the Bright and Eon Next apps. All has been fine since but for the period of comms loss there is still nothing in the apps and I don't expect this to change. The Eon Next app always lags by a few days so you should see data start to appear again in a couple of days hopefully.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.