No usage shown for over 2 weeks now.

Level 2
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-11-29-19-58-23-173_com.eonnextmobile.app.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  17.3 KB

This is getting to be a frequent occurence now.

No idea how I'm supposed to responsibly track energy usage when 50% of the time the smart meter is useless.

Auto bill was due 2 weeks ago now but obviously late because the smart meter isnt sending data to E.on.

Bizarrely daily usage on the ihd seems to be working fine .

Absolute ballache for me taking a manual gas reading as it requires the use of 2 mirrors and a phone camera and a fair bit of contortion as the pevious house owners built a cupboard around the gas meter at a bizarre angle .
  • 20 Replies

Level 91
    @madmatt30

All ok in my apps so it seems that indeed your meters are not communicating. Have you contacted customer service about the issue? If not, see Contact Us in the purple section at the bottom of this page.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 78
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-11-29-19-58-23-173_com.eonnextmobile.app.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  17.3 KB

This is getting to be a frequent occurence now.

No idea how I'm supposed to responsibly track energy usage when 50% of the time the smart meter is useless.

Auto bill was due 2 weeks ago now but obviously late because the smart meter isnt sending data to E.on.

Bizarrely daily usage on the ihd seems to be working fine .

Absolute ballache for me taking a manual gas reading as it requires the use of 2 mirrors and a phone camera and a fair bit of contortion as the pevious house owners built a cupboard around the gas meter at a bizarre angle .
    Your Eon Next app usage page looks very similar to mine. Sometimes there is data sometimes none. My system is rather like me getting past it's prime 👴. It's an old SMETS1 setup with communication problems.
    Have you ever thought of getting your meter readings off your IHD? It saves trying to get into awkward places.
    It's certainly worth contacting Customer Services as @JoeSoap has said. They might be able to help.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 29-11-23 at 21:05. Reason: Extra comment
    Level 5
    Yes, same issue here -- my last-reading in the "Usage" screen of the "E•ON Next" app was on 22 November, but nothing since then.

As per advice on another post here, I went to https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk and entered my MPAN (you'll find this on any bill from e•on) and postcode, and it says that my meter has "stopped communicating with the DCC network", apparently.

You might want to check on that site for your own meter. How I get that resolve though, I'm not sure -- can the DCC re-activate it remotely, or will e•on need to arrange a replacement-meter be installed?
    Level 78
    Yes, same issue here -- my last-reading in the "Usage" screen of the "E•ON Next" app was on 22 November, but nothing since then.

As per advice on another post here, I went to https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk and entered my MPAN (you'll find this on any bill from e•on) and postcode, and it says that my meter has "stopped communicating with the DCC network", apparently.

You might want to check on that site for your own meter. How I get that resolve though, I'm not sure -- can the DCC re-activate it remotely, or will e•on need to arrange a replacement-meter be installed?
    Hello again. Just checking, did the Smart Check say that your meters are "not communicating" rather than "can't be found"? If it's "not communicating" then how is the 3G signal in your area? Where roughly are you in the UK?
    Level 5
    @WizzyWigg It's currently saying "Your electricity meter isn’t working in smart mode. You have a first generation (SMETS1) electricity meter. Your supplier can't support it in smart mode yet." (I did get a different-message when I checked earlier where the last-sentence said it's not communicating.

While it is true my smart-meter is a first-generation (SMETS1) model, the DCC remotely-updated it around late November or early December of 2021 (if I recall correctly). The IHD has not worked since then, but my meter has until just-recently been sending-back data every 30 minutes. So the final sentence there is incorrect, as e•on have been able to support it until around the 22nd or 23rd of last-month, which is the last reading the e•on Next phone-app shows for it
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg It's currently saying "Your electricity meter isn’t working in smart mode. You have a first generation (SMETS1) electricity meter. Your supplier can't support it in smart mode yet." (I did get a different-message when I checked earlier where the last-sentence said it's not communicating.

While it is true my smart-meter is a first-generation (SMETS1) model, the DCC remotely-updated it around late November or early December of 2021 (if I recall correctly). The IHD has not worked since then, but my meter has until just-recently been sending-back data every 30 minutes. So the final sentence there is incorrect, as e•on have been able to support it until around the 22nd or 23rd of last-month, which is the last reading the e•on Next phone-app shows for it
    Yep I saw your reply to @retrotecchie . Have a look at this thread about some one having 3G issues in the West Midlands.
    https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post11150
    Level 5
    @WizzyWigg Thanks, though a "boost-box" wouldn't be a suitable solution for me (I'd assume by that they mean either "a Wi-Fi repeater" or "a Mi-Fi box, where you get Wi-Fi from a SIM card?).

My meter is in a communal-area on the ground-floor; I'm on the third-floor. So the meter is definitely not within-range of my Wi-Fi. (Hence why my IHD no-longer works since the meter-upgrade from SMETS1 to SMETS2. Apparently for "MDUs" the DCC is supposed to leave people on SMETS1 so the IHD still works, but I guess not!)
    Level 5
    I love how for new-builds the Government now says "don't put all of the electric-meters inside a communal-area, put them in each property instead" (source: paragraph 2.1 in https://assets.publishing.service.go...new-builds.pdf ) but that doesn't help those of us who currently don't have the meters in our own flats or apartments! 🙁
    Last edited by dftf; 02-12-23 at 16:07. Reason: spelling error
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg Thanks, though a "boost-box" wouldn't be a suitable solution for me (I'd assume by that they mean either "a Wi-Fi repeater" or "a Mi-Fi box, where you get Wi-Fi from a SIM card?).

My meter is in a communal-area on the ground-floor; I'm on the third-floor. So the meter is definitely not within-range of my Wi-Fi. (Hence why my IHD no-longer works since the meter-upgrade from SMETS1 to SMETS2. Apparently for "MDUs" the DCC is supposed to leave people on SMETS1 so the IHD still works, but I guess not!)

I'm going to correct you on your theory as it is actually wrong. IHD devices have never used either the mobile phone network or WiFi for communicating with the meters. Communications to the DCC from the meter via WAN on SMETS2 is by means of a cellular network facilitated by O2 in the southern half of the UK and by Arquiva using Long Range Radio in the northern half. Communications between the meters and the IHD is a completely separate beast using Zigbee secure communications on 2.4GHz. This was built into the standard right from day one as part of the first iteration of SMETS and has remained unchanged through to the latest SMETS2 and upcoming SMETS3. Earlier SMETS1 meters used an older version of Zigbee radios which had a slightly higher ERP and therefore a slightly better range in some cases, plus there weren't so many smart meters competing for channel spacing in the same location.

So your meters or IHD's have never used WiFi, and the SMETS standards explicitly prevent WiFi access to the meter. Although the WAN uses cellular, the HAN doesn't.

So your IHD not communicating since the meter upgrade is either because the IHD wasn't correctly paired to the newer communications hub, or the lower ERP of the newer Zigbee module means the signal just can't reach your IHD. There are no 'booster boxes' or repeaters for secure Zigbee. If it was a remote software update, chances are the new software wiped any pairing data.

And if your meter is made by EDMI, then they won't connect to DCC's networks either. They can't and won't be migrated onto the DCC networks.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 02-12-23 at 17:13.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.