Smart meter high at night

Level 78
    @JoeSoap Mornig (snivel, croak) normally at 01:00 my dishwasher kicks in and uses 0.50 KWh between then and 01:30. That's historically as Bright in my case pleases itself if it updates. The rest of the time consumption varies between 0.02 & 0.04 KWh until I get up usually around 06:30. It's terrible to say 😂 but the Next app is really starting to be more accurate than Bright albeit 3 days behind. I know off to wash mouth out 😂.

PS Steam powered IHD just shows as it always does normal consumption for me.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 29-10-23 at 09:46. Reason: Extra information
    Level 56
    @aminpirzada

Is this behaviour still happening on your IHD?

If it is, then start taking precise meter readings directly from the meter if possible OR buried within SmartView IHD will be an option for 'Meter Info' and you should see the actual meter reads as they are relayed in 'real time' for the electricity. So take a precise reading just before midnight and then another one just after 1am if you can. If your night time baseload is 100W/hour then the meter will increment by 0.1kWh and if this is the case then your SmartView IHD is exhibiting some strange behaviour. The IHD is not your meter and you are billed to the meter NOT the IHD.

IHD's are a double-edged sword IMHO. If they work as intended and have the correct tariff information then fine it can be a useful budgeting tool but alas most forums are littered with customers with IHD's that don't connect/have the wrong information on them etc etc.

From my perspective IHDs only provide a highly convenient way to measure consumption from the previous day (although the Bright app that I linked before and other apps can do this just as conveniently) with no cronking around to read hard to reach meters. Of course reading an electric meter daily (smart or non-smart) is something that many folk do as part of a daily monitoring routine and you don't need an IHD to do that. The IHD does enable reading of the gas meter without unnecessarily powering the gas meter up to read the thing and gives a decent approximation as to the kWh of gas used albeit it at 30 minute intervals. I've also found the 'Usage Now' whole house function of an IHD reasonably informative, but again energy monitoring plugs gives a draw/usage for whatever is plugged into it so is much more specific if you need this functionality.
    Last edited by Mailman; 29-10-23 at 09:41.
    Level 91
    This morning it showed a normal 0.48kWh of electricity used for Sunday so far and 0.00kWh of gas used (both normal). The £ usage reflected the correct SC had been added on whenever the IHD had fired up.
    @Mailman @WizzyWigg

When I looked at my IHD at 8.30am I had already used 2kWh of electricity and 10kWh of gas. With my 0.2ish kWh overnight electric baseline consumption this is about expected considering a kettle had been boiled and the HW/CH pump had been running. Flo normally turns the room stat down a bit before bedtime so that when the CH boiler timer clicks at 7am it will only fire up if it's really cold. I forgot to put the timer clock back last night so it kicked in at 6am instead of 7am 😬
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 78
    @JoeSoap & @Mailman I'm the timer clock ⏰ in the house 😂. SWMBO throws me out of bed at 06:30 (if cold that is) to fire up boiler. Boil kettle, make coffee ☕, prepare sustenance, switch boiler off as up to liveable comfortable temperature. Sun does the rest. 🌞 Temperature through out the house at moment is 19.5c. Boiler set to off.
    All clocks set bar 2 , garden clock ⏰ and car. Just going to do them as we speak.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 29-10-23 at 11:26.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

I'm fine with the car. It stays on GMT all year round! It's now right again! The satnav always shows correct time though, so I rarely use the car clock function. I usually have the display set to remaining range or average mpg.

It's English Heritage I worry about, having to tip up at Stonehenge twice a year to move the stones!

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @Mailman @WizzyWigg

When I looked at my IHD at 8.30am I had already used 2kWh of electricity and 10kWh of gas.

So that's 2kWh over 8 ish hours or an average of about 250Wh. Not too shabby, and probably mostly baseline load like refrigeration and AV/IT equipment. My daily average is currently around 8kWh, so I'd be ok with that 2kWh over that time period.
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg

I'm fine with the car. It stays on GMT all year round! It's now right again! The satnav always shows correct time though, so I rarely use the car clock function. I usually have the display set to remaining range or average mpg.

It's English Heritage I worry about, having to tip up at Stonehenge twice a year to move the stones!
    Golly gosh @retrotecchie you reminded me mentioning Stonehenge I've not adjusted the sundial in the garden.
    Level 92
    @WizzyWigg

Setting the kitchen clock - Wind it back manually - simples.
    Setting the clock on the VCR - get your kids to do it.
    Adjusting the sundial - move next door!
    Level 78
    @WizzyWigg
    ..............Adjusting the sundial - move next door!

Gee thanks @retrotecchie that really is a great idea. Never thought of that. I normally just twist it's Gnomon. 😶
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap & @Mailman I'm the timer clock ⏰ in the house 😂. SWMBO throws me out of bed at 06:30 (if cold that is) to fire up boiler. Boil kettle, make coffee ☕, prepare sustenance, switch boiler off as up to liveable comfortable temperature. Sun does the rest. 🌞 Temperature through out the house at moment is 19.5c. Boiler set to off.
    All clocks set bar 2 , garden clock ⏰ and car. Just going to do them as we speak.

I did the oven, microwave, boiler timer, an alarm clock, my watch, two cars and one of Flo's watches. Two more watches and I'm done.