Smart Meter Emissions and Safety

Dear to whom it may concern,

Can you please let me know the emission level of my smart-meter? I wish to know the following;

How often it transmits my electric and gas usage data to head-office,
    Whether I can change the timing of these transmissions,
    What other transmissions take place (both sending and receiving) and how often,
    Whether I can stop these or at least be notified when these are taking place,
    What the total emissions are compared to mobile devices and Wi-Fi devices plus Wi-Fi routers,
    Whether I can opt-out of the smart meter or put it into 'dumb' mode,
    Whether the emissions are constantly put out or just put out when sending and receiving information,

And the manufacturer of my smart meter,

Prior NPOWER customer who has been moved over to Eon.

Please understand I am trying to reduce emissions in my household to improve my health as I am greatly concerned by the topic of electro-magnetic-sensitivity and the effects of EMF emissions on vulnerable groups such as the children, elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

Thank you for your time, patience and understanding.
  • 2 Replies

Level 78
    Sorry, most of this information is unavailable, but it's all well within safe limits.

How often it transmits my electric and gas usage data to head-office,
    Whether I can change the timing of these transmissions,

Readings are sent based on your preferred schedule either daily or monthly

What other transmissions take place (both sending and receiving) and how often,
    Data not available for security reasons

Whether I can stop these or at least be notified when these are taking place,
    No, for security and anti-tamper reasons

What the total emissions are compared to mobile devices and Wi-Fi devices plus Wi-Fi routers,
    Less than both. In actual fact, as an example my friend Blastoise186 has a flat full of Ubiquiti UniFi kit. His UniFi Dream Machine can pump out something like 26dBm TX Power and his UniFi 6 U6-LR Wi-Fi Access Point can pump out 28dBm TX Power, while his other two (UniFi nanoHD and UniFi AC-Lite) aren't far behind. 30dBm TX Power is the legal limit in the UK per Ofcom regulations, so his setup just squeezes in below the limit and he's never experienced any ill effects as a result of any of it.

And this is literally with his UniFi nanoHD right above his bed too. He mounted it in his bedroom so that all four outer walls of his flat have an access point on them. If EMF was going to affect his health from all this stuff, it would have already done it by now. But alas, it has not.

Whether I can opt-out of the smart meter or put it into 'dumb' mode,
    Not possible for SMETS2 as the functionality to do so was eliminated

Whether the emissions are constantly put out or just put out when sending and receiving information,
    Only when activity is going through

And the manufacturer of my smart meter,
    Data not available as it depends on your supplier and other factors

Please understand I am trying to reduce emissions in my household to improve my health as I am greatly concerned by the topic of electro-magnetic-sensitivity and the effects of EMF emissions on vulnerable groups such as the children, elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

A LOT of this is unproven speculation, you have nothing to fear
    Last edited by theunknowntech; 21-09-22 at 22:29.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!