Gas card since changing

Level 1
    I am absolutely disgusted at the way my parents have been treat since they were canged to youselves. Everytime they tried to top their card up, it took all of the credit for debt. They have NO DEBT. After ringing up numerous times, they were told 3 weeks for an engineer, ot to let the gas run out and theyd get an emergency engineer to come out. The gas ran out, an engineer came out, said hed seen nothing like it and changed meter. Said a card would be sent in post with the £45 on which theyd lost. The card came, and lo and behold no credit on. I put £5 on, again taken for debt. Rang numerous times on hold at least half an hour each time, eventually got a code to put in at a shop went to 3 shops yesterday, didnt work. Rang today got told to go to another shop after 2 1/2 hours ive just got back, put card in meter, no credit. This has gone on for 3 weeks now. Im currently on hold again as they have £1 emergency credit left and no way to top up. This has caused my parents much distress. My dad is disabled and doesnt leave the house. To be told they need to run out of gas again before we can get an engineer out. This is absolutely disgusting and i will be emailing the energy ombudsmen about this!
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    I am absolutely disgusted at the way my parents have been treat since they were canged to youselves. Everytime they tried to top their card up, it took all of the credit for debt. They have NO DEBT. After ringing up numerous times, they were told 3 weeks for an engineer, ot to let the gas run out and theyd get an emergency engineer to come out. The gas ran out, an engineer came out, said hed seen nothing like it and changed meter. Said a card would be sent in post with the £45 on which theyd lost. The card came, and lo and behold no credit on. I put £5 on, again taken for debt. Rang numerous times on hold at least half an hour each time, eventually got a code to put in at a shop went to 3 shops yesterday, didnt work. Rang today got told to go to another shop after 2 1/2 hours ive just got back, put card in meter, no credit. This has gone on for 3 weeks now. Im currently on hold again as they have £1 emergency credit left and no way to top up. This has caused my parents much distress. My dad is disabled and doesnt leave the house. To be told they need to run out of gas again before we can get an engineer out. This is absolutely disgusting and i will be emailing the energy ombudsmen about this!

Hey there, Beki here! 👋 It sounds like if there was debt on the back screen of the meter then this may have been brought forward in the transfer. I am so sorry that this has happened but the good news is that it is definitely fixable. Have you got in touch with on Facebook/Twitter? If not, I highly recommend this option as they should be able to send you a new card out that will remove the debt (if under £250).

If for whatever reason they do go off supply the out of hours number for emergencies is 0808 501 5088.

Let me know how you get on or if you need any further assistance.
    Level 78
    Hi,

It sounds like something's up with the meter. From my understanding gas meters are only supposed to take a maximum of 70% of each top-up for debt repayments and leave at minimum 30% to go on as credit for gas. There should never be a situation where a gas meter swallows 100% of a top-up no matter how much debt has built up. At the same time, it's sounding as if the meter has a debt on it which might not be valid. If that is the case, you might be able to get a full refund for ALL the lost credit as well as having debt collection disabled on the meter. If that doesn't solve the problem, the meter could be faulty and might need to be replaced.

There's not much I can do as a forum volunteer I'm afraid, but I will try to flag this thread to a moderator in case they're able to help.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    This is also happening to me and my children we are sat here with no gas for the second time in a week no gas card has arrived just got off the phone to be told they have to send another card so I cant top up over Christmas I just have to keep ringing the engineer who will only out 5 pounds on at a time
    @Nicola1981 Hey there, Beki here! I can see you spoke to someone on Christmas Eve, and they sent a card out to you manually. Have you received this card now?
    I apologise for the issues that you have faced with getting your prepayment card working. Please let me know if you have received your card.

I look forward to hearing from you.