Smart Meter Connectivity

Level 5
    @JoeSoap

Totally correct, I have no issue with the supply at all. I am try to obtain info to help me understand my usage over time with a view to possibly adjusting how and when I do things or perhaps change tariffs etc.

i initially asked for this data and was told they are having difficulties in obtaining it from my meter and could i help by pressing a few buttons.
    Level 5
    I initially asked for historical data so I could better understand my usage and look at things like changing behaviour, tariff, or potentially solar and storage as an option.

i was told that they were having issues obtaining the data and pressing a few buttons may help (I was thinking perhaps some sort of reinitialisation of link to the DCC, I am beginning to realise I may have been over estimating the tech support at this level)

this is when they sent me off trying to look for the menu which I now hear is on pay as you go only.

Whilst looking for that menu area, I did stumble over the software version / firmware version etc and sent them back to support (but again possibly not what a 1st line support possibly need)

This thread is indeed loosely linked to the other I posted ref the potential of utilising some sort of passive antenna in case the WAN link is “ropey” and I may simply fork out a few quid and try it in any case but as support recognised they could not obtain the data and asked me to press a few buttons I have put that on hold
    Level 91
    @LakelandStrider

I’m still trying to piece this together.

How long have you had smart meters and do you have both electric and gas ones?

Can you read them yourself and submit readings?

New meters can take several weeks before they function fully.

Do they work in smart mode so that readings are taken automatically by Eon Next?

If not, have you tried the smart meter checker?

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Do you have an IHD and does it work?

Are the meters set to half-hourly?

Have you tried downloading something like the Bright app where you can get historical and fairly up-to-date usage data?

Would alt-Han help?

The more info you can provide the better chance someone has of advising.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    @JoeSoap

i have been here about 15 months and the meter was already in here when I arrived.

It is purely an electric meter.

the IHD is also here and working

I could indeed read them and submit if needed (not really what I am after)

I have ensured my settings are set for 30 min readings (since I moved in)

I have used the Citizens advice checker and it is in smart mode SEE BELOW THIS PARAGRAPH (i have asked for the historical data from Eon this is where they asked me to go to the meter (poss a wild goose chase and me possibly assuming that it may reset / restart the data to be able to be accessed via the WAN)

Your electricity meter's working in smart mode

Supplier: E.ON Next Energy Limited
    This means your meter should automatically send readings to your supplier, so you don't need to send them yourself.
    It’s working in smart mode because you have a second generation meter (SMETS2) that’s on the smart meter data network. The network connects your smart meter to energy suppliers.

I have downloaded Bright and another called Hugo to try and obtain the data (both can not access the data) and why I asked Eon to see if they could at least send me a copy if they had (or at least confirm they could not - possibly indicating that they had an issue with obtaining the readings (why I was working on a plan B in case it was a signal strength issue and possibly using a passive antenna )

Apologies if I have not been clear before and thank you for a few strong hints to help others understand the issue a little clearer.

Level 91
    @LakelandStrider

Ok, so the IHD works. Is the tariff info on it correct? If so, that suggests there is comms, or has been recently. Smart check is ok so can I presume Eon Next can take smart readings? If not then that’s what you need to pursue with customer service by giving them all the relevant info you have just provided. If the IHD works as it should and Eon Next can read the meters automatically then you should be able to get the data you want from Bright.

That’s as I see it at least. It will be interesting to see if anyone has other ideas.
    Level 28
    @JoeSoap
    I have downloaded Bright and another called Hugo to try and obtain the data (both can not access the data)
    I'm not sure from the above whether you're saying that Bright can't see the meter at all, or just that bright can't "obtain" (ie.download) the data

If you've registered your meter with Bright, what do you have to do to download is go to their parent website, as per these instructions from the Bright help pages

Can I download my data to a CSV?

Go to glowmarkt.com, log in (top right) using your Bright credentials and then, from that same area of the screen, go to My data and choose the data streams you want to download. Your complete consumption history will be provided, at the granularity you select.
    Level 78
    @LakelandStrider
    Have you been getting regular monthly statements and on those statements does it should say if the meter reading is 'Smart ', 'Customer 'or 'Estimated '?
    Level 5
    Checked back a few months (to Oct 23 ) on the eon next app and bills are annotated "Smart meter readings"
    Last edited by LakelandStrider; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:57. Reason: slight update
    Level 78
    Checked back a few months (to Oct 23 ) on the eon next app and bills are annotated "Smart meter readings"
    That's positive if you have had smart readings over the past 5-6 months. Now the baffling thing is why Bright (never had much luck with Hugo) cannot access your data. It should at least see those months. When did you register Bright as it can take a while to populate? I know everyone moans about the Eon Next app but what does the usage data show? It's normally 3 days behind and has the occasional 'No Data ' days.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:19. Reason: Extra information
    Level 91

So everything works ok then. All you want is historical usage data... which Bright should be able to provide... but therein lies the current issue for some reason.