High Gas Readings Since Smart Meter Installed

Level 92
    @JoeSoap

Demanding money?
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 56
    you should find that consumption per day drops now as the cold snap has ended and much milder (but windier & wetter) replaces it.

yes already noticed just 48 hours into a milder period. Yesterday was below 50kWh/day @ 45 kWh (previous 4 days were all above 50 averaging @ 54kWh/day) and today is looking better still, so may duck under 40 kWh for the day. Thermostat settings as they were in the cold snap but feels more comfortable inside the house
    Level 56

Looking at the first 3.5 days of January 2024 before the Smart Meter was fitted, I used 189kWh or roughly 54KWh per day.

I can't see how we are suddenly using near on 50% more Gas since 4th Jan then we did in Dec 2022, Jan 2023 or Dec 2023, which should be comparable months.

Average 1st-4th Jan 2024 inc 34.36 kWh/day (similar to historical usage in Jan 2023)
    Average 1st-22nd Jan 2024 inc 41.81kWh/day (above historical usage in Jan 2023)

Since the weather has warmed up here in the NE the daily numbers have tumbled

Usage 19th Jan 2024, 56.35 kWh (last really cold day)
    Usage 20th Jan 2024, 45.25 kWh
    Usage 21st Jan 2024, 40.86 kWh
    Usage 22nd Jan 2024, 27.08 kWh (this is more like it - lowest daily since Xmas Eve)

I suspect you are seeing a decrease in the gas kWh/day used since the really cold snap ended in the same way that I am now seeing in my house. Numbers will be different of course but you should be seeing a downward trend in consumption - all due to Mother Nature. 😀
    Level 78
    @Mailman Here's the long range forecast by the Meteorological Office for next week 🌞

UK long range weather forecast

Saturday 27 Jan - Monday 5 Feb

A changeable theme with further spells of rain and showers at times, but also some drier and brighter interludes, is most likely to prevail through this forecast period. The heaviest and most frequent spells of rain will tend to be across western, especially northwestern areas where rain is likely to be heavy and persistent over hills. These are likely to be accompanied by periods of strong winds. Further south and east settled periods are likely to be more prevalent, with the best of any sunshine and drier weather here. Temperatures are expected to be widely milder than average overall, although this doesn't preclude shorter, colder spells at times, with a risk of overnight frost and fog accompanying more settled conditions, especially in the south.
    Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Mon 22 Jan 2024
    Level 56
    @Mailman Here's the long range forecast by the Meteorological Office for next week 🌞

UK long range weather forecast

Saturday 27 Jan - Monday 5 Feb

A changeable theme with further spells of rain and showers at times, but also some drier and brighter interludes, is most likely to prevail through this forecast period. The heaviest and most frequent spells of rain will tend to be across western, especially northwestern areas where rain is likely to be heavy and persistent over hills. These are likely to be accompanied by periods of strong winds. Further south and east settled periods are likely to be more prevalent, with the best of any sunshine and drier weather here. Temperatures are expected to be widely milder than average overall, although this doesn't preclude shorter, colder spells at times, with a risk of overnight frost and fog accompanying more settled conditions, especially in the south.
    Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Mon 22 Jan 2024

What you might call a curate's egg of a forecast 😆 At least nothing really cold though 👌
    Level 78
    @Mailman Yep as the seaweed says Warm(ish),Wet and Windy in the North West. 🌞 Business as usual. 😂
    Level 1
    Thanks for all your answers, which are interesting and glad I'm not alone in my spreadsheet tracking :-)

I do agree that the 14 day time scale is probably a little on the short side, so will see what the whole month comes out to. Where I am just south of Norwich I didn't see it as being really cold like is was elsewhere last week - the start of December 2023 was colder. The hightest usage I had seen was December 2022 (2129kWh) where we had a good week of colder weather and for a few days it didn't get above 0c plus over the main Christmas days we tend to have the temp higher and on for longer, so it was really basing then (worst case) vs Now as the comparison, as really it shouldn't be higher, but it looking like it might be.

Yesterday was milder and I dropped the themostat to 18C and end of day I had used 40kWh so less which has brought the average down to 84kWh from 89kWh (since installation). I have put back to 19C as I want comparable settings really ( and the wife made a few comments 😂 ).

I think the main issue is I have gone from just one monthly reading to can see it daily which when you see 100kWh usage, was a tad worrying!

I'll post back when i have the months data, to see if it balanced out.

As an aside without having to read the smart meter the end of each day and enter manually, can you get the daily usage from EON in an App or the like?

Thanks

Rob
    Level 92
    @CubeConn

The Eon app should do that but the Bright app seems better according to most smart meter owners.

Level 28
    @CubeConn

The Eon app should do that but the Bright app seems better according to most smart meter owners.

As an aside without having to read the smart meter the end of each day and enter manually, can you get the daily usage from EON in an App

Both Eon & Bright apps will show the hourly usage, but if you register your meters with Bright you can then select to download about 13months of ½ hourly/daily/monthly/annual usage from your meters (in CSV format) from their parent website glowmarkt.com, which you can then load into Excel for further analysis/graphing etc
    Last edited by geoffers; 23-01-24 at 20:36.
    Level 56

I'll post back when i have the months data, to see if it balanced out.

As an aside without having to read the smart meter the end of each day and enter manually, can you get the daily usage from EON in an App or the like?

Thanks

Rob

I don't need to read the actual meter.

All I do is look at the in home device (IHD,) that is set to show kWh, in the morning (different to the actual meters which I seldom read these days) and record the historical kWh usage from the previous day in my own spreadsheet (with accurate costings). My IHD, that should have been provided for your use when you had the smart maeters fitted, can go back for the previous 7 days for whole-day usage. Bright can show more 30 minute granularity if you really want to look at that data as well but you might need the GUID (from the back of the IHD or in the menu to proceed - not absolutely sure about that been a while since I registered with them 🤔). Also the n3rg site is another one to look at for historical data if you don't have an IHD (I believe it requires the MPxN).

👍