No night storage heating and hot water immersion since smart meter fitted.

Level 1
    Smart meter fitted in November 2023. Engineer couldn't get it to scheme in. So he left with Smart team trying to configure remotely. 5 days later we were given appointment for engineer to revisit 12th December to try again. He didn't turn up. Given new appointment for 12th January this year. Everything in house working as normal and dual tariff working as it should. After engineer on 12th managed to get meter schemed in to Smart system everything went wrong. No night tariff switch over, no night storage heating and no hot water. Phoned Eon and they sent emergency engineer out Monday 15th. He changed the meter for another new one, changed the IHD to a Chameleon, showed us all the settings were correct after configuration and left. No tariff changeover again that night and no heating or hot water. Phoned Eon again. They sent another engineer out. He was at house for hours and struggled to get meter working and configured but eventually it did show all the correct settings. He suggested giving it 24 hours to give time for SMETS to get settings working right. NOPE IT STILL HASNT.Today Friday 19th been on the phone to Eon over 3 hours, passed to different departments twice put on hold and then hung up on. 3rd agent handed it to her manager to sort. They have come back telling us they know what the problem is but it can only be sorted by us calling out a private emergency electrician and they will give some help to the cost. This is not on. I'm in my 70s, my wife in her 60s and she has some severe health conditions which have been exacerbated by being in a cold house with no hot water in sub zero temperatures. And she is only going to get worse as this drags on. We have been polite at all times and have been treated like this. It's disgusting. The systems all work before the smart meter was schemed in. I asked what a private electrician was supposed to be able to do that their electrical engineers couldn't and got told that they would know when they they saw it. We have been given £40 credit to our account for inconvenience but still no solution. I have read all the other threads on this same topic and there are countless ones of them. They just don't want to admit that the meter is the problem. Just don't know what to do next but can't take much more of this.
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Notahappybunny

Sorry to hear all this. First thing I would I would do is to raise a complaint by emailing unhappy@eonnext.com. This may not immediately sort things but will eventually get you to the ombudsman quicker if necessary. If it would get me hot water and heating then I would get an electrician or whoever reckons they can help, as per Eon's advice, and then seek to get full costs from Eon Next. Using emails gives you a good traceable record of communications.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap thank you. Since posting Eon phoned back, told us not to get an electrician and they would send an electrician. This was Friday afternoon. Still not heard anything. Think they may have been doing something remotely because strange things have been going on with the meter and IHD and we seem to be getting night tariff switch over at 2am till 7.30. We can get electric go through to heating and hot water from 9pm till midnight but on day rate but soon as meter changes calendar date the electric audibly switches off to both and then they won't come on anymore till 9pm next night. This isn't enough for a stone cold system to get going. Can't get night tariff reading to show on meter either. Had our systems checked and no faults found. So as Eon seem to have given up listening will do as you suggest and put in complaint
    Level 91
    @Notahappybunny

great advice so far. @retrotecchie is the person to comment on the technicalities of this although the fact that it has worked properly and now doesn’t points to some sort of configuration issue in the meter which is an Eon Next issue to resolve.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Notahappybunny

Whilst it's good to hear that something is being done it's not so good that you are still in a bad situation. Don't give up on the engineer visiting as we were warned of possible disruption to visits due to the adverse weather. The fact that they have agreed to send someone now rather than you having to find someone says something. Whether you choose to chase things further through normal customer service channels or raise a complaint I think you should highlight your wife's severe health conditions. I wish you luck and please keep us informed.
    Level 10
    Hi log a complaint via resolver.co.uk web site. It's an online website that'll manage all communications with your supplier. It also has handy hints and tips. It also has all the company manager emails so it's easy to escalate up the management hierarchy. It also keeps track of all emails etc so you don't have to.

Also, as your wife has severe health conditions are you registered with EON on their priority scheme?

Personally, if I was you I'd tell EON NEXT to rip out their failing meters and to install new old fashioned meters. I am 18 months into getting our system fixed and despite going to the energy ombudsman they are no nearer fixing it.

You should get compensation for each failed visit too.