EON is overcharging me and no one will give me a clear explanation

Level 91
    @JoeSoap

sorry Joe! But if the smart meter readings were available throughout the account would not need such restructuring. The original bills might have covered a greater timespan and the estimates outside the specified quarter and still needed to be reversed and rebilled.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    One other thing, I recently saw this in the recent statement that they've sent. Everything (including the reading) seem to align except that I don't understand where did the £193.52 come from??? can anyone help explain this to me please?

Name:  4thjan2024.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  54.5 KB
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

sorry Joe! But if the smart meter readings were available throughout the account would not need such restructuring. The original bills might have covered a greater timespan and the estimates outside the specified quarter and still needed to be reversed and rebilled.

There has been at least one estimate so I would guess the smart meter hasn't worked as it should at some point. All I'm pointing out is that a smart reading was taken on 1 Jan 23 and another on 1 Apr 23 so for that period there has been no estimates or customer reads. Apparently the flat was empty yet considerable energy was consumed night and day during the period.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

thanks for clarifying regarding the credit refund. I assumed my account was up-to-date but if it wasn't i can understand why these transactions are happening. It would've been nice to get a notification from EON explaining why my account was out-of-date in the first place? As you pointed out, I have not been sending my meter readings (manually) for each month, so maybe that was part of the reason :(

As for the months i was away, the flat was empty. I even turned off the power supply for the heater and wifi. Only the fridge was still on. I am now looking back on my previous statements to figure out what my balance should look like.

My R1 R2 readings seem to align with the smart meter. Is it normal for my day to be low and my night to be higher?

If your flat was empty in Jan, Feb and Mar 23 with just a fridge on then I'm baffled by the smart readings showing considerable consumption both day and night.

As for day and night readings I have to presume you have storage heaters that consume electricity overnight. If that is so then the night consumption may be more than the day consumption during the cold months but the opposite during the warm months.
    Level 91
    One other thing, I recently saw this in the recent statement that they've sent. Everything (including the reading) seem to align except that I don't understand where did the £193.52 come from??? can anyone help explain this to me please?

Name:  4thjan2024.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  54.5 KB

Is there any other charge apart from the electricity consumption from 1 - 5 Jan? Also, I see your day and night rates are now the same. Is this what you want?
    Level 91
    Unless the meter is faulty - a remote possibility - then the energy was consumed and therefore the @jorenejo assertion of everything being off last year for a period is an innocent error. Time clocks on meters and systems can get out of step but as this is now a flat rate supply that has no impact on the overall level of billing. Has the reality of the situation now become clear?

why the smart meter readings have only recently been applied to the account is still a mystery though.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 07-01-24 at 09:40.
    Level 56
    @jorenejo
    The original bills might have covered a greater timespan and the estimates outside the specified quarter and still needed to be reversed and rebilled.

I have to agree with the above as we (the responders in this thread) are not privvy to all the original bills/statements issued apart from the portion of the first statement covering the period 17th March 2022 until 3rd May 2022. After that none of us have any idea whether the original statements issued between 3rd May 2022 until December 2023 have used the smart readings listed on the most recent statements or whether they used estimated readings (which appears highly likely from a 3rd party perspective).

So I'd now suggest that you go back through all the original statements issued between 3rd May 2022 and early January 2024 and check whether Eon Next have used smart readings for the dates when tariff rates changed. I note that on May 3rd 2022 you were on the Fixed tariff Next 1 year v7 but by 1st October 2022 you had changed tariff and were on the Variable tariff Next Flex. So there needed to be an accurate read (smart or customer) at this crossover date. After that smart reads should have been(and were) produced at the 3 monthly Next Flex tariff change dates for the revised bills (1st Jan 23/1st April 23/1st July 23/1st October 23 and finally 1st January 24). I mention this last date because your last post with all the revised statements does not include a statement starting at 1st October 2023 and ending on 1st January but I can take a punt at suggesting this statement would start with 3597.8 day and 3977.0 night.

As smart reads are available and have been used in the new bills I am at somewhat of a loss to give an reason why Eon Next did not use these smart reads (as they clearly exist) in the original billing. If these smart reads are clearly listed in the meter read section of your account and they were not used by Eon Next billing for the original bills perhaps this might give you reasonable grounds for a complaint and perhaps a small customer service gesture 🤔

Ultimately though I think your account balance (seen on my example transactions tab ) created at 31st December 2023 is highly likely to be correct even with the ups and downs on your account. I wouldn't bother doing manual daily reads any more as nothing suggests phantom usage but I do suggest you submit future readings on the 1st of each month.
    Last edited by Mailman; 07-01-24 at 10:26.
    Level 5
    @JoeSoap

There's been no other change which is why I'm puzzled by the total charges amount.
    Level 5
    @Mailman

thanks for suggestion. I'll look over my statements to cross check the readings. I did email a complaint to Eon about this but they have yet to get back to me...

@meldrewreborn the situation is a bit clearer to me now thanks for the explanation.

Any advice on the Jan 4th statement? My total electricity was £9.98, so how come it became £193.52?
    Last edited by jorenejo; 07-01-24 at 10:26.
    Level 56
    @jorenejo

What about the period from 1st October 2023 till 31st December 2023 inclusive? I see no revised billing for this period.

I've also revised my previous post at the bottom if you have not seen it.😁
    Last edited by Mailman; 07-01-24 at 10:30. Reason: additional comments