"Smart" meters & EV tariff

View Tag Cloud
    Level 56
    so basically the IHD is anything but smart,totally useless,and we may even be getting "Skanked" an hour because of the clocks changing.
    What are these apps called that were being used ?
    Just wondered if all the suppliers are the same when it comes to split tariffs,I mean,how difficult can it be to show customers what they are actually getting charged,I thought that was the whole point of having a smart meter,so you can see what you are using in real time.

I only rely on the smart meter and its linked IHD to tell me how many total kWh I have consumed in the present day (and previous) / present month etc and the power draw in real-time but absolutely cannot rely on it to tell me the true £ cost all the time on said usage. If I was on a EV tariff I'd be more inclined to use the DCC 30-min data from the Bright app and spreadsheet the data (if possible) to work out anticipated £ cost on bills. I fear that the Eon Next app is keeling over at what those on EV tariffs are (perhaps rightfully) expecting from it.
    Last edited by Mailman; 07-09-23 at 16:33.
    Level 29
    @Mailman agreed 👍

The Bright app is clearly polling the meter (which holds 13 months of half-hourly readings) and picking up the kWh usage and the tariff as held on the meter.

So since my meter only seems to hold one (incorrect) tariff rate, Bright can't be relied upon for the usage cost, just as @Mailman says the power usage in kWh

I'm pretty sure that this is all that the EOn app is doing as well (ie polling the meter for power usage and the tariff rate stored there) but it only reports the per day usage

So neither app can produce correct costs if the tariff on the meter is incorrect .... or EV dual rate costs if the meter only has one tariff rate stored there
    Level 92
    @geoffers

None of the apps 'poll the meter' they get their data from DCC, not the meter itself. DCC poll the meter and then forward that data to the energy companies for billing purposes, DNOs for statistical and planning purposes and to other 'licenced third parties' such as Hugo or Hildebrand.

The data is available shortly after midnight for the previous 24 hours which is why their apps always lag by at least a day. Even setting your meter reads to half hourly will still result in the meter being read by DCC once a day. It's just that the read takes the whole block of 48 half-hour records during that read instead of just the simple daily or monthly totals.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 29
    @geoffers

None of the apps 'poll the meter' they get their data from DCC, not the meter itself. DCC poll the meter and then forward that data to the energy companies for billing purposes, DNOs for statistical and planning purposes and to other 'licenced third parties' such as Hugo or Hildebrand.

The data is available shortly after midnight for the previous 24 hours which is why their apps always lag by at least a day. Even setting your meter reads to half hourly will still result in the meter being read by DCC once a day. It's just that the read takes the whole block of 48 half-hour records during that read instead of just the simple daily or monthly totals.
    Sorry - yes I should have said "the apps get the meter readings via the DCC "

It's clear that both apps calculate costs using the (incorrect) tariff rate stored on my meter - you would have assumed that Eon, who knows what my true dual rates are would use these rather than the meter's value
    Last edited by geoffers; 08-09-23 at 07:48.
    Level 5
    So an update.....on my electricity meter it shows the units used,and the current bill,so as I was charging the car last night I thought I would see how these numbers changed after a charge,then surely that would tell me what I`m being charge overnight.
    So,before I started charging the meter was on 05427 units and the current bill was £43.13,first thing this morning the meter was on 05471,and the bill had gone up to £56.70.
    That`s 44 units used,at a cost of £13.57,so I`m supposed to be on 9.5p kwh,so even with my basic maths,this is wrong,I should have been charged around £4.18 for the charge.
    The units used is correct,as this confimed on the charging app,so what does this mean,I think it means I`m being charged at the normal day rate,which is 32p kwh.
    What do you think ?
    Level 92
    @Pete65

If your meter is set to half-hourly reads, when the supplier pulls the read from your meter, they will be able to bill you correctly at the appropriate tariff for your off-peak, or 9.5p rate periods. Unfortunately, both the meter and hence the IHD are (at the moment) unable to do the calculations for you, so it will appear you are being billed at the higher rate.

But what the IHD thinks you are being charged will be wrong.
    Level 5
    @Pete65

If your meter is set to half-hourly reads, when the supplier pulls the read from your meter, they will be able to bill you correctly at the appropriate tariff for your off-peak, or 9.5p rate periods. Unfortunately, both the meter and hence the IHD are (at the moment) unable to do the calculations for you, so it will appear you are being billed at the higher rate.

But what the IHD thinks you are being charged will be wrong.
    OK,how do you know that ?
    I`m ignoring the IHD completely,I know that`s useless,but the meter is also wrong,so how can it send the correct info,when it`s wrong on the display,where is the info coming from ?
    Level 91
    I`m ignoring the IHD completely,I know that`s useless,but the meter is also wrong,so how can it send the correct info,when it`s wrong on the display,where is the info coming from ?

The meter sends the consumption in kWh and your tariff is applied to that. They will know what time you were consuming the electricity so will apply the correct rates.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 92
    @Pete65

The tariff shown on the meter is wrong, but the stored data for the actual kWh recorded will be correct. The energy supplier knows what tariff you are on and which periods are peak or off peak. They don't read the incorrect tariff from the meter for billing purposes. That is simply uploaded to the meter to enable the IHD to give you a ballpark figure for costs....which you already know is incorrect and useless.
    Level 29
    The meter's ½ hourly kWh usage values are the only thing which is correct, so download your energy usage from glowmarkt.com (having first registered with the Bright app) then use a spreadsheet to calculate your costs 👍