NextDrive EV charging tarriff - experience

Level 28
    Hi - anyone care to share their experience using the "Drive" EV charging tariff.

I was transferred over to "Drive" on 27th July, and the (time delayed) daily usage/charge details are now being displayed on the EonNext app.

However for my first overnight charge on Fri 28th I don't appear to have been given the 9.5p overnight rate.

The whole day's electricity shows as 15.08kWh costing me £4.72 (about 31.9p/kWh)

The monitor on my charger shows I used 13.086kWh between midnight - 7am, which should have cost £1.24 with the daytime rate being charged on the remainder.

I've just emailed cust-service to check on this - will keep you posted.
    Last edited by geoffers; 11-10-23 at 17:27. Reason: Spelling correction
  • 56 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 28
    Best Answer
    WooHoo - good news at last 😎

Just received an email from customer services, apologising for the lack of the previous 2 month's statements (which they are still working on)

However they did provide a screen-shot from their system showing the usage up to 2nd October (this does include a few more week's usage than I'd allowed for from my quick calculations above, hence the apparent discrepancy)

And the good news is ....
    ... the figures do exactly match my calculations 👏👏

Name:  DriveStatement_Screenshot.JPG
Views: 2236
Size:  38.2 KB
    Level 91
    @geoffers

I wonder if the Eon Next App is capable of dealing with the complexities of your tariff. I have had no usage data at all in mine for weeks .

Hopefully customer service can throw some light on things.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 28
    Thanks Joe - I know that the app/website can't yet show a detailed breakdown of the different tariff rates/usage, but would assume that EON Next's internal systems would calculate the total amount, and just feed the data through to the app with the correct daily costs.
    Level 28
    Quick reply from customer services (thanks)

As with any in-home display (IHD), our app cannot keep up to date with how the new EV Tariff works.
    This is currently an issue that has been flagged to our EV Team and we're hoping for a resolution as soon as possible.

As the EV Tariff is a "Time of Use" tariff, the prices change from midnight to 7am to the lower rate. We do not bill based on meter readings, but on consumption ever half-hour.
    This means that when it becomes 7am, the price changes to the higher rate.
    However, at midnight it drops to our lower rate.
    I can assure you that once you see your monthly bill statement from us you will be able to confirm the changes.

For now, the app is giving the wrong information.
    Level 28
    Blimey - I've been busy on the forum today... just to add to my energy monitoring research for the new Drive tariff, I've posted this on another thread

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post36988

This has details of a phone app called "Bright" which will connect directly to your Smart Meter and give you very detailed analysis (even down to half-hourly) of your daily energy usage - very helpful
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-07-31-22-19-47-28_db6c14ec762e0b6c476f0d64a8005767.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  20.8 KB
    @geoffers It's great to see you've got a quick response from customer service. 😊

And it's even better to see you over here sharing your experiences with us. I know it's not ideal with the app/IHD data not showing accurate info but we're working on it.
    Have you had a bill yet to confirm if the billing is correct?

Beki
    Level 28
    @Beki_EONNext

Hi Beki - thanks for your comments 👍 ... I hope I'm not going to drive you to distraction with this 😂

I've not yet had a bill for the NextDrive as I only transferred on the 27 July, however I'm gathering some data out of interest so I can see how things stack up with the billing.

One thing that may be an issue (or may not be, depending on how the data is processed at your end) is the midnight roll over time when the lower EV charging rate kicks in.

Looking at the data for Sunday July 30 for instance...

From my charger display, the charging commenced at 5 minutes past midnight, which you can see in the left hand bar showing 1.766kwh from 00.00~01:99
    Name:  Tapo_0730.jpg
Views: 5254
Size:  17.5 KB
    And the display from the Bright app, which picks up the data from the DCC shows much the same, with the left hand bar and the text field below showing 1.83kwh at 00:00 on the 30/07 (the amount is obviously bigger, since it includes other household appliances)
    Name:  Bright_0730.jpg
Views: 5277
Size:  22.2 KB

However - I have downloaded the Excel(CSV) file from the Bright website, and there is the potential for misinterpretation of the start/end of the timing

Name:  Tapo_v_Bright_0730.JPG
Views: 5238
Size:  50.2 KB

The data on the left from my charger shows the amount used starting from midnight to 1am =1.766; 1 to 2 =1.905 and so on

However the Bright data shows the first hour's value of 1.825 as the period commencing 11pm on the 29/7 and ending at midnight; then the next 1.967 between midnight and 1am etc

So if that is how the bills are calculated, there is the potential for the first hour's charging being billed at the higher daytime rate 😧

Their raw data is actually in 1/2hourly chunks as per this which shows the 0.84+0.985=1.825 as the 2 * 1/2 hour periods before midnight on the 29th

29/07/2023,11:00:00 PM,0.84
    29/07/2023,11:30:00 PM,0.985
    30/07/2023,12:00:00 AM,0.985
    30/07/2023,12:30:00 AM,0.982
    Level 28
    @Beki_EONNext

Hi Beki - thanks for your comments 👍 ... I hope I'm not going to drive you to distraction with this 😂

I've not yet had a bill for the NextDrive as I only transferred on the 27 July, however I'm gathering some data out of interest so I can see how things stack up with the billing.

One thing that may be an issue (or may not be, depending on how the data is processed at your end) is the midnight roll over time when the lower EV charging rate kicks in.

Looking at the data for Sunday July 30 for instance...

From my charger display, the charging commenced at 5 minutes past midnight, which you can see in the left hand bar showing 1.766kwh from 00.00~01:00

Name:  Tapo_0730.jpg
Views: 3039
Size:  17.5 KB

And the display from the Bright app, which picks up the data from the DCC shows much the same, with the left hand bar and the text field below showing 1.83kwh at 00:00 on the 30/07 (the amount is obviously bigger, since it includes other household appliances)
    Name:  Bright_0730.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  22.2 KB

However - I have downloaded the Excel CSV file from the Bright website, and there is the potential for misinterpretation of the start/end of the timing

Name:  Tapo_v_Bright_0730.JPG
Views: 3007
Size:  50.2 KB

The data on the left from my charger shows the amount used starting from midnight to 1am =1.766; 1 to 2 =1.906 and so on

However the Bright data shows the first hour's value of 1.825 as the period commencing 11pm on the 29/7 and ending at midnight; then the next 1.967 between midnight and 1am etc

So if that is how the bills are calculated, there is the potential for the first hour's charging being billed at the higher daytime rate 😧

Their raw data is actually in 1/2hourly chunks as per this which shows the 0.84+0.985=1.825 as the 2 * 1/2 hour periods before midnight on the 29th

<EDIT>

...probably answered the discrepancy, since the DCC time is actually supplied as Zulu time (ie GMT not BST) so hopefully the billing system will account for this...

2023-07-29T23:00:00.000Z,0.84
    2023-07-29T23:30:00.000Z,0.985

</EDIT>
    Last edited by geoffers; 01-08-23 at 23:46. Reason: pictures missing