Is my Chameleon IHD3 broken?

Level 92
    If no apps work, but your meters are visible, then the issue is with DCC.
    If apps work, but E.On can't get readings, the problem is with Eon Next.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Community Team
    Hey @milleniumaire ๐Ÿ‘‹

Hannah here ๐Ÿ˜€.

I'm sorry you've had a ๐Ÿšฎ time with our Customer Services and I'm sorry we haven't been up to scratch! I'm glad you found our Community, answers and support is certainly what we aim to do around here ๐Ÿ˜Š. I can see you have already received some fantastic advice from other members, we're certainly a friendly bunch!

We need to work out what is the problem here - the apps or the connection ๐Ÿค”. When you spoke with one of our agents did they manage to pull a read or attempt to for you?
    ๐ŸŒ Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    ๐Ÿ‘‰get in touch๐Ÿ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions ๐Ÿ‘‰ HERE ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
    Level 6
    @Han_EONNext,

I emailed EON Next on 24th February explaining the issue and providing my details. I received a reply the same day from "Sabrina" saying she would look into this for me.

I have received NO communication since, which is why I then posted on this forum in an attempt to "help myself", but obviously there's only so much I can do.

Anything you can do to help will be appreciated.
    Community Team
    Ah @milleniumaire - I'm sorry that we haven't looked after you the way we should!

What we need to do is attempt to pull a reading and connect with the meter ๐Ÿ˜Š. I have popped you a DM for your account details and I'll see what I can do for you ๐Ÿ™‚
    Level 6
    So, today I received an email from EON Next asking me to reset my IHD and if this didn't work to install SmartThings. Given that I've tried this reset numerous times and I've tried installing both the Bright and Loop apps, without success, I suspect SmartThings is also not going to work.

After responding and explaining this, I got another email:

"I have completed checks on the meters, they are still sending us reads but they are not communicating with your IHD I have sent a request for the smart meter team to investigate further for you. If the connection has been lost with the DCC they will be aware of all of the meters affected by this as it is a global issue. They are working on a fix for this currently. We are awaiting information from the DCC when the global fix will likely take place, we have no timescale when this will be resolved. We can only advise you to leave your IHD turned on and plugged in as the update will need to be sent to the IHD. I will be in touch with you with the findings from the smart metering team when they get back to me, please be aware this may take a couple of weeks as they are working a backlog at the moment."

Can anyone interpret this email and explain what the issue may be as it seems to be blaming the IHD AND the DCC connectivity. Is it possible that BOTH are causing the issue? If the DCC communication with the meters is working due to reads still being sent, why can't I get the Bright and Loop apps to connect?
    Level 91
    @milleniumaire

It seems to me that the reply consists of 3 different pre-prepared answers compiled together which cumulatively make no sense.

So are the reads getting through to your account Yes or No? If Yes the the WAN, the DCC, the eon next BOL are all working fine, at least in an outward direction. If No then one of those features is letting the side down.

Are your meters showing the correct Tariff details? These are sent from E.On Next the other way. if the details are not correct then they might not have been sent, or the inward communication is deficient.

Your information for the IHD comes from the meters via the communications hub attached to the electricity meter (via the HAN) - its all done locally. If the data is wrong on the IHD but correct on the meters themselves then there is a fault in either the comms hub or the IHD.

I note that you are continuing to press on this, but so long as you can read the meters locally and submit them E.ON Next will not carry out any fix to your in home equipment. They will though try to solve communication issues through the DCC where they can. In my view there is no point in trying to resolve the IHD matter until the other aspects have been sorted.

I fear you are doing the electronic equivalent of banging your head against a brick wall. It might not be as painful but might be just as pointless.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but Iโ€™ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 6
    @milleniumaire

It seems to me that the reply consists of 3 different pre-prepared answers compiled together which cumulatively make no sense.

So are the reads getting through to your account Yes or No? If Yes the the WAN, the DCC, the eon next BOL are all working fine, at least in an outward direction. If No then one of those features is letting the side down.

Are your meters showing the correct Tariff details? These are sent from E.On Next the other way. if the details are not correct then they might not have been sent, or the inward communication is deficient.

Your information for the IHD comes from the meters via the communications hub attached to the electricity meter (via the HAN) - its all done locally. If the data is wrong on the IHD but correct on the meters themselves then there is a fault in either the comms hub or the IHD.

I note that you are continuing to press on this, but so long as you can read the meters locally and submit them E.ON Next will not carry out any fix to your in home equipment. They will though try to solve communication issues through the DCC where they can. In my view there is no point in trying to resolve the IHD matter until the other aspects have been sorted.

I fear you are doing the electronic equivalent of banging your head against a brick wall. It might not be as painful but might be just as pointless.

Thanks for confirming my lack of understanding of that email, which seems to be blaming everything!!!

I'm not overly concerned about the IHD not working and suspect this is a symptom rather than a cause.

I am concerned that I can't get the Bright and Loop apps to work and I have been advised by Han_EONNext that my meters can't currently be read, but that information conflicts with the email above which suggests they can. It is all very confusing and I'm not actually convinced the person who sent this email knows what is going on.

I suspect Han_EONNext has more of an idea of what the issue is than the person that sent that email.
    Level 91
    Thanks for confirming my lack of understanding of that email, which seems to be blaming everything!!!

I'm not overly concerned about the IHD not working and suspect this is a symptom rather than a cause.

I am concerned that I can't get the Bright and Loop apps to work and I have been advised by Han_EONNext that my meters can't currently be read, but that information conflicts with the email above which suggests they can. It is all very confusing and I'm not actually convinced the person who sent this email knows what is going on.

I suspect Han_EONNext has more of an idea of what the issue is than the person that sent that email.

If the readings are not getting through as advised by @Han_EONNext, then it depends how far the data is getting and where the apps try to access the data, I'm not competent to advise.

The email is garbage. Until the communications are sorted there is no real solution to this - and you have no means of forcing that resolution - hence banging head against a brick wall.
    Level 6
    It has been 7 months since I started this post and I came across it and thought I would update it with the solution to the original issue.

It was quite easy to resolve in the end, I simply moved away from Eon and joined Octopus Energy who did lots of tests and in the end replaced the Smart Meters with new ones, which have worked perfectly since being installed in early June. So much for new technology. The "old" SMETS2 meters were only in for 4 years before they were replaced with these "new" SMETS2 meters and they have worked perfectly.

I suspect the real issue was down to the lack of customer support from Eon. I found that unlike Eon, Octopus Energy actually wanted to help resolve the issue rather than just hope it would go away.

Needless to say I won't be switching back to Eon any time soon. They weren't a company I chose, but I was moved over to them when my previous supplier (Igloo) failed.

So, if you are having issues and Eon customer support isn't helping (or is non-existent) my suggestion is to switch to an energy company with a better, proven customer support record.
    Level 91
    @milleniumaire

Thanks for informing us and good to hear you got a result in the end. It's a shame you had to move to a different supplier to get that outcome.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.