Is it possible send in a photo of my meter?

Level 12
    Still have the old dial meter (and happy to continue to have one rather than a smart meter)

Is there any way to send in a photo of the meter rather than read it myself?
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hey guys 😊
    @gbhxu Is there any particular reason why you won't be able to submit the read yourself? Perhaps we can put something together to help you get to grips with reading it. You are not alone with the dial readings being confusing 🤣. However you can send us in a photo of your meter at anytime and we will be happy to help read it for you 🔧. Just send that across to us via email or social media and let us know that you want to provide a meter reading and we will go ahead and do that 😀. @wizzo227 have you ever been told we can't? We most certainly can so I am sorry if you were told otherwise!

@meldrewreborn I can't comment on other suppliers, and I never have been supplied by Symbio. But how did they manage to do that? Predict a future reading by your current? Confused.com
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 23-02-23 at 13:14.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 21
    They won't do that. You still have to read it yourself, or give some pocket money to someone who'll bend their neck that far and type the number into the website for you. A photo on your smartphone can be a convenient way for you to reach with a hand around a corner instead of peering into an awkward space.

Sometimes a photo is worth having in your stash of records, just in case someone tries to bill you for a completely wrong amount. That happened with Symbio; before they went bust for not paying for the electricity which they'd been billing for, they tried escalating bills to several times more than the quantity of electricity which had gone through the meter. In defense against that sort of error, a photo of your meter containing also the date and headline of todays' newspaper is an irrefutable record of the most which you should have to pay for, on the day of that newspaper. I photographed my meter, requested that they decrease their bill to nearer to what I had used, and cancelled direct-debit when they didn't.
    Level 91
    @gbhxu
    you could post the photo on here and we’ll read it for you!
    @wizzo227

i too used to be with Symbio. Their billing process was a joke with customers billed for energy one month in advance on estimates even Dianne Abbott would not have dream’t up. But my fixed price deal was excellent so I reluctantly put up with the billing issues as I knew it would rectify in time.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 21
    @gbhxu
    Symbio. I knew it would rectify in time.

Being less trusting, I kept a running total of hand calculated bills at their p/day and p/kWh, so if they randomised which day of the month they billed on, I'd still have a trusted running total of my own. From that I could spot that they'd overcharged one month then reimbursed from the next at a different price and so on. I paid minor inconsistencies for as long as they were oscillating about the correct running total. Two overcharges in a row and I queried in writing. Their next month they reiterated and asked for even more overpayment above running total, so they never got any money from me after that. You'd think that an office who buy wholesale and send bills could get at least one of those right.
    Last edited by wizzo227; 23-02-23 at 14:43.
    Level 91
    @Han_EONNext

They billed one month forward based on one's EAC. The problem was the EAC wasn't realistic and so they over billed. It also meant that every month the previous months billing was subject to a credit, and then they over billed again for the next month. And even if one managed to get the EAC adjusted down they continued to use the old EAC for the forward billing.

The system was set out in their T&C's, but not the overbilling. As I said before, if it hadn't have been for the excellent pricing I'd have been off. One has sometimes to take the rough with the smooth, you know. I was paying 10.55p +VAT for my electricity in late 2021 - without the Government EPG the variable price would now be 65.3p+VAT - that's one hell of a difference. Symbio went bust because their forward hedging on wholesale energy was inadequate or non existent. I'm not sorry they've left the market because the costs to all consumers from the failure of so many energy companies in late 2021 was significant and the work needed to move so many customers from all the failed suppliers to new suppliers was huge. Many customers smart meters packed up in the moves to new suppliers as well.
    Level 91
    @wizzo227

I was on a fix so the added complexity of variable pricing was a headache I managed to avoid.