Seems I am missing out

Level 1
    To aid discussion for the same event but with me signed up to loop for their DFS event not Eon Next the reward did include in day adjustment so that suggests this is not a change by national grid ESO for their DFS calculation but infact a good old fashioned Eon Next error.
    Level 1
    @MsttyThese 'rewards' seem to be totally random. We are retired so can be flexible about when we eat/ use the cooker and have a woodburner which heats the sitting room to a comfortable level if heating off. For each event we did the same thing. Heating off, no use of cooker, just background use of fridge/freezer/broadband connection, a couple of lamps (LED bulbs) and the TV on. 14 December we saved 84% of target and got £8.06; 23 January saved 93% and got £5.44; 24 January saved 83% and got £3.20; 13 February saved 76% and got £1.13. Totally random - suspect Eon are pocketing most of the supposed money back!
    Level 91
    To aid discussion for the same event but with me signed up to loop for their DFS event not Eon Next the reward did include in day adjustment so that suggests this is not a change by national grid ESO for their DFS calculation but infact a good old fashioned Eon Next error.
    Here's the thing I can't get my head around. The idea is to shift energy consumption away from the designated high energy demand window - normally around 5-6pm. This reduces the need to 'fire-up' more power stations and helps avoid power cuts. These are good reasons to participate in the scheme and the monetary reward helps as an incentive to take part.

Some, including yourself (see here), seem to be shifting consumption from other (lower demand) periods - even from the previous night - into the three hour window that begins four hours before the shift period. This isn't the point of the scheme as you are shifting from one lower demand period to another. Shouldn't the reward just centre around the energy shifted out of the high demand period in question into the lower demand period?

I'm all for making a few quid extra and tried to shift some consumption into the three hour window from periods outside the designated one hour slot in the latest event. It didn't seem to work for me 🙁.

Maybe Eon Next haven't made an error but are simply ahead of the game in closing down a loophole.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @ChristineB Are you aware on what is termed the in day adjustment period? The three hours where you should shift as much of the days energy to. To maximise your payout?
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap

You must add into your thinking that the formula for the energy shift events was created by the National Grid ESO DFS team.

They set the formula or which a key part is the "in day adjustment" period. The three hour period where some can shift a large portion of the days energy usage or even delay say the dishwasher from the previous night and shift hearing hot water etc etc.

Yes, it is making as much of the formula as possible, some may call it gaming the system.

However, the proportion of people.doing this is very low when you read average payout sof £1.50 as an example.

As for the last Eon Next event it appears they have messed up the calculation and I am surprised someone from Eon Next has not already picked that up from the community here.

However if I were signed up with Eon Next for these events I would already have a complaint in.
    Level 91
    @Mstty
    Thanks for the explanation. It still seems a bit odd to me but if that's the set formula then Eon Next should indeed honour it - although I don't know what their obligation is officially. Perhaps with more people trying it out it will become unaffordable and the formula may well change. In the meantime... fill your boots, I say.
    Level 16
    @JoeSoap
    @Mstty

Note that on the basis that the 3 hour "in day adjustment" period comprises of 6 half hourly smart meter slots the adjustment is the total energy consumed 3 hour "in day adjustment" divided by 6 and this aggregated with the previous 10? days energy usage for that time period. That said @Mstty has got it cracked.

But the compensation formula provided by National Grid only applies to energy suppliers and does NOT apply to consumers.

As stated by National Grid "Each energy provider will have individual incentives for their campaigns"

Eon Next can provide as much or a little incentive or compensation as they like and they probably screwed up.

Energy Shift (DFS) is just a way for energy suppliers to earn MORE money/profit.

A participating firm does not even need to be an energy supplier to run a DFS event as all that is required is get smart meter customers to sign up and then BID to National Grid how much energy will be shifted. The participating firm gets paid and can then decide how much to pay consumers.

For example a non energy supplier Glowmarkt (Bright) don't have a customer/subscriber income but they can bid to National Grid to earn from DFS events and the incentive that they offer to their "customers" is a £1000 prize draw.

Energy Shift (DFS) is just playing with numbers and the only way to make any real difference in the energy market is to start punitive charging for peak hour energy. Consumers won't make money and peak energy will cost a lot more. Customers with a smart meter will be punished if they use peak energy. Customers without smart meters won't be charged peak prices but their overall tariff will be increased to compensate. We are suffering DFS because the alternative is not politically palatable in Westminster.

Energy Shift is a CON
    Level 91
    @Actual
    Thanks for the info. I can see that by shopping around and maximising usage of the formula there is some money to be made, particularly for higher consumers. I don't feel I'm suffering DFS though. I reduce my energy consumption in a given period and get a financial reward, just like they say I will. That said, I can't say I disagree completely with your statement, 'Energy Shift is a CON' as, although it seems to work for me, some seem to hit the target (as backed-up by the Bright app and what they see on their IHD) only to get told they didn't.
    Level 55

But the compensation formula provided by National Grid only applies to energy suppliers and does NOT apply to consumers.

As stated by National Grid "Each energy provider will have individual incentives for their campaigns"

Eon Next can provide as much or a little incentive or compensation as they like and they probably screwed up.

Energy Shift (DFS) is just a way for energy suppliers to earn MORE money/profit.

I saw that there had been an update to the DFS in early February but the changes were minor and importantly the in day adjustment formulae remained the same.

So it leads me to ask the question about how much Eon Next earn from these DFS events? Does Eon Next get reimbursed with the amounts calculated for each customer (inc the IDA (in-day adjustment)) and then filter through a smaller amount (for Feb 13th ignoring the IDA for example)?

There is little or no transparency in the process by which Eon Next reward its customers judging by what happened on Feb 13th and it certainly seemed different for every other test or event.
    Level 16

Like I said before, there is no way that anyone at Eon Next will ever understand all that 😂