Demand Flexibility Service FAQ.

Level 55
    Hi all 😊 a reason why you may not have been invited to any of the events yet is because of your usage levels.....

@Mailman - you are invited to the shifts you have high usage within. So looking at today's event, you may not use much energy in that period anyway 😊

As it turns out I did get the email invite although somewhat late in the day (I got it @ 1419) to do much in the way of meaningful shifting. That being said the tumble dryer just gone on for what I hope will be a 'finishing off' tumble dry 30-45 mins possibly, after a rare day of being able to get some drying done outside.
    Last edited by Mailman; 24-01-23 at 15:19.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

And up until last night when the service went 'live' so the news articles stated, this period between Nov 22 and March 23 is still very much an experimental 'pilot scheme' to test the systems and iron out all the wrinkles. This is why only a certain number of participants have been included this winter. Some energy companies may have been more or less invested in this than others, but next winter, everyone with a smart meter sending half hourly reads will be able to participate.

Once all the data from all the suppliers has been collated and analysed, the scheme will be available to all eligible participants next year.

I don't have nor want a smart meter so will never be eligible but that matters little to me. I save as much energy as I can all the time and have long since stopped working a 'traditional 9-5, so my 'peak usage' rarely coincides with 'peak periods' anyway.

Sure, I don't get incentivised with cash payments to shift or reduce my usage. My incentive is purely from lower bills from not using any unnecessary energy at any time of day or night. Those savings across the whole year probably add up to significantly more than a few pounds or pence here and there for the three or four months that demand shifting is active.

Yes to put this into context, the energy savings via reduced consumption I made in the last year (compared to the sort of levels of usage I previously ripped through previously) probably saved me at least £500-£700 whereas the energy shift payments might net me £10-£20 tops over the course of this winter.
    Level 5
    Hi all 😊 a reason why you may not have been invited to any of the events yet is because of your usage levels.
    The way the Demand Flexibility Scheme works is that those with an average higher usage at that time slot will be asked, rather than those with a low average .

It makes me wonder why I was invited. My annual usage is about 1750kWh, compared to the national average of 2900kWh (according to Ofgem). Today's is the eighth event I've been invited to, which I assume is all of them, so far.
    Today I'm tasked with saving about 0.09kWh, to earn an impressive £0.34.🤣

Just waiting for some results to see how the actual credit compares to the original targets.
    Level 92
    @cj68

I suspect they need a representative sample of low through to high users across the customer base in order to see who the scheme is going to most appeal to.

A few tens or hundreds of watt hours across the range will not amount to a hill of beans, but by getting a large number of high usage users to shift significant amounts of kWh, that can make all the difference between having to bring a high cost or high co2 auxiliary generator on stream or not.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 55
    For transparency can the rates used for each kWh of saving to those of us who have taken part in energy saving events be posted (preferably in this thread) on or shortly after the date of each event? I know they change from event to event (£2.50 - £4 ish) are numbers that have been posted on other sites for other suppliers. 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-01-23 at 11:07.
    Community Team
    Hi @Mailman 😊. We wouldn't be able to post that data ourselves, but if people choose to provide their rates and payments then they can do 😊
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 55
    Hi @Mailman 😊. We wouldn't be able to post that data ourselves, but if people choose to provide their rates and payments then they can do 😊

I think you misunderstand what I was asking for. I'm not at all interested in what others post about their individual payments or what % reductions they achieved.

The metrics used in the DFS to calculate the the £ reward are the adjusted kWh not used in an event period.

So let me suppose that I was able to reduce (by either not using electricity or shifting what I was going to use to another part of the day) my adjusted baseline consumption of 1.1 kWh for an event period by 0.7kWh. These numbers are roughly what happened on Monday 23rd and I am able to work these numbers out accurately using either the meter/IHD or Bright (as I did).

The metric that is unknown to me and anyone else is the £ price reward paid by Eon Next to its customers for each kWh reduction in the event period. I assume that every Eon Next customer is rewarded with the same £/kWh for their reduction achieved during an event and it is this rate I am seeking clarification on. I know it appears to be in the region of £2.50 - £4.00 but can we get confirmation on what this rate actually is for each of these events?
    Last edited by Mailman; 27-01-23 at 15:43.
    Community Team
    The metric that is unknown to me and anyone else is the £ price reward paid by Eon Next to its customers for each kWh reduction in the event period. I assume that every Eon Next customer is rewarded with the same £/kWh for their reduction achieved during an event and it is this rate I am seeking clarification on. I know it appears to be in the region of £2.50 - £4.00 but can we get confirmation on what this rate actually is for each of these events?

Morning @Mailman,

I see what you are asking, I'm not actually 100% sure on the rate per kWh "shifted" but I have asked for some clarification on this. Once I hear back I will update you 😊
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 55
    Morning @Mailman,

I see what you are asking, I'm not actually 100% sure on the rate per kWh "shifted" but I have asked for some clarification on this. Once I hear back I will update you 😊

Thanks for the update.👍

Just to add that the Test event that appeared to take place this morning had 'accepted bids' of £3 (over all the suppliers) so I'd not be expecting today's payment to be in excess of £3 /kWh reduction and much more likely to be in the region of £2.50/kWh (maybe less) for those that were invited (I was not although ready to go 🤣).
    Level 55
    Morning @Mailman,

Any news? Are we looking at a rate of £3 per kWh shifted for the event scheduled for 13th Feb?