Energy saving Week? Can we walk the walk...

Level 92
    @Beki_EONNext

I'm completely with @meldrewreborn in that 'every week is an energy saving week'!

To be fair, some weeks are better than others...
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    @retrotecchie I get that and I feel I'm sounding more and more like my mum by shouting 'This house is lit up brighter than Blackpool Illuminations' everyday.

It's great that you are all so aware of your energy usage and I am too, but there are lots of people who aren't and that could be inspired by just one week. What about Veganuary and how much that has an impact?
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext
    going to be windy this Veganuary!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

I'm a dyed in the wool omnivore. But in a nod to Veganuary, most of the food I eat was vegetarian.

I know a fair few vegans. They're a bloody unhealthy pasty-looking lot and always having to take vitamin B supplements.

If God didn't want man to eat meat, then why did he make it so tasty.

I'm fed up to the back teeth with seeing adverts for 'fishless fingers' and the like. If they want to make processed meat-free food, why try and make it look like the genuine article?

Thank goodness for Steve 'Interesting' Davis and his current meat and dairy promotional campaign.

As for Blackpool, I think that the majority of the illuminations now are LED based rather than old style filament. Still a waste of energy in my book, but at least not so much energy now😎
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 15-01-23 at 16:44.
    Community Team
    Morning everyone 😊. The team has had a little check in and our energy saving plan is in full swing! We will get the results out to you at the start of next week 🏆. I just wanted to update you with a little information on energy saving, and to get what you think:

🔥🏡Heat loss through your home! 🏡🔥

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cold bridging 2.png 
Views:	566 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1948

Up to 70% of your heat can be lost through a poorly insulated home. 35% through the walls, especially if unisnsulated cavity walls.25% through an uninsulated loft 10% through windows & gaps around doors.When you consider that every 1 degree Celsius above 18 degrees can add an extra 10% to your gas bill, it’s easy to see how this can make your bills much higher. How to recognise cavity & solid walls.Most brick houses built after the 1920’s started to be built with cavity walls. It’s easy to recognise the difference between a cavity & a solid wall based on the brick layout. By the 1990’s cavity wall insulation became mandatory on all newly built properties. Lot’s of homes built between these times still don’t have cavity wall insulation.Please not though lots of old stoner properties will not have a similar brick layout to a cavity wall but will still be a solid wall. Again the age of the property will give an indication if it has a cavity wall or not.

Cold Bridging

This is quite complex 🤔 as it can be caused by many different factors in different styles of buildings.Cold bridging is caused by a colder element in the structure or fabric of the building allowing coldness to pass through. When warm moist air is present in the property and it passes through the colder elements of the structure we have what is known as Cold Bridging.
    This is often caused by a combination of issues. It can occur from things such as having a shower or a bath, cooking or clothes washing, particularly if you are drying washing on the radiators.Scientifically cold absorbs heat so for example the pocket of cold air in a wall cavity will suck the heat out of a property. The same with an uninsulated loft that isn’t heated. Windows do the same & the issue is also very common with properties with rooms built on top of unheated garages.It’s paramount that insulation & draught excluding is used around all these areas including carpet underlay, thick lined curtains are drawn at night. Draught excluders around any door gaps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cold bridging 1.png 
Views:	554 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	1947
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Community Team
    I have just come across the results for our energy saving challenge and realised that we didn't update this thread. So thought I should share the results (albeit very late 🙈)...during Energy Saving Week 2023 this is what our team saved 🥁🥁🥁

@Anasa_EONNext Older property, SPAYG for both gas and electricity. The property has gas central heating and an electric cooker and fire.

• Electricity: 33 kWh
    • Gas: 35 m3

@Beki_EONNext New build. Smart credit meter for both gas and electricity. The property has a gas boiler and hob but an electric oven.

• Electricity: 11.1 kWh
    • Gas: 8.8 m3

@DebF_EONNext Old property (300+ yrs) thick stone walls, SPAYG for electricity with off grid heating. The property has an immersion heater for hot water and LPG for cooking. High usage household.

• Electricity: 3.7 kWh
    • Coal: 9kg

I think this was such a great result for the Community Team as it just so happened that Energy Saving Week fell on one of the worst weeks in January when the snow came and temperatures plummeted!

I am the first to admit that my household is higher usage but even I managed to save a few kWh just by remembering to turn lights off, imagine how much energy I could have saved had if I could get the teen to switch his devices off 🤣

I'm pleased that we managed to get our coal usage down for the week even though it was very cold and showed me that it is manageable using a little less each time, it doesn't make a huge difference to the overall heat but makes an impact on my emissions and saves £££ in the long run too!

I'm looking forward to taking part in the next Energy Saving Week, I hope that some of our community members will join in next time too 🤗
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 10-10-23 at 09:13. Reason: formatting
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖