Another Smart Meter and IHD issue.

Level 1
    Hi All.

I had a smart meter and IHD installed around a year ago, maybe longer. They all worked perfectly initially but stopped working a while ago. I'm not sure if it was around the time of switching to EON Next or not.

I have phoned customer support twice who just walk me through the usual script of turning the IHD off then on etc. The conclusion is they need to go away and investigate further.

With winter here and the current energy prices I would really like to be able to use the IHD to keep track of spending.

Have I exhausted all of my options to try and get this working? Would ofgem be interested in this lack of progress in finding a resolution? Suggestions are welcome.

Regards, Matt.
  • 13 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @stevensmp
    If you can post exactly what the problem is then perhaps someone will be able to advise. You could try the citizens advice smart meter checker first. There is a complaints process here if you feel customer service is lacking.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    Sorry, more information would have been useful.

The cellular unit of the electricity meter is a WNC UBC-TN6; the SW and WAN lights (only these two) flash once every 5 seconds or so. I believe this means it is working correctly? The meter checker linked above believes so as it says both meters are 'working in smart mode'. However, EON are not receiving the meter readings and I'm having to manually submit them.

The IHD is a SMETS2 Chameleon and constantly says "connection lost..."

I hope this was more useful.
    Level 91
    @stevensmp
    Thanks, that's a bit more to go on. I'm not so clued-up on smart meters but @retrotecchie normally has some ideas and will probably get back to you when he sees this tag. In the meantime you could try downloading the Hildebrand Bright App. It's free and it will give you usage data down to half-hourly if your smart meters are set to such. It might not work but always worth a try.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap
    @stevensmp

Just give me a while chaps....just got in from a shopping trip and need to unload the Hot Poodles and put 'em away. Got a job lot of Bombay Bad Boys, only a few days past the BBE date but half price, so should be sorted for Christmas now. Will be back in a bit 👍
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    Sorry, more information would have been useful.

The cellular unit of the electricity meter is a WNC UBC-TN6; the SW and WAN lights (only these two) flash once every 5 seconds or so. I believe this means it is working correctly? The meter checker linked above believes so as it says both meters are 'working in smart mode'. However, EON are not receiving the meter readings and I'm having to manually submit them.

The IHD is a SMETS2 Chameleon and constantly says "connection lost..."

I hope this was more useful.

For your IHD to work, the HAN light needs to be flashing once every 5 seconds.

If the SW light is flashing...your meter or the hub was mid way through a software update which looks like it's failed, or there is an issue with the last update like a tariff change or something that didn't quite work as planned.

Might be worth dropping a line to Customer Services on hi@@eonnext.com and ask them to push a tariff update. You'll need all your account details and the MPAN and account numbers. Hopefully, that will help it get it's mojo back.
    Level 1
    @stevensmp costumers service from Eon next really not care. My gas smart meter lost connection over 4 months ago. I was logged complaint what they trying to close as business decision what I not agree. They blaim DCC and washing their hands. Silly company. They offered me 20 quit as good will gesture 🤣. I will go with them to ombudsman to force them to make pressure for DCC. All system is broken. They only know how to ripp you off and force you to install this useless **** to after have possibility to change you mater to prepayment if you not able to pay to them this taken from moon prices.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 91
    @Martintel

the DCC are a law unto themselves, with no customer interface. Only suppliers can contact DCC and given the response they have done all they can.
    your complaint is valid but low down on the list of priorities, it will get sorted eventually but with no date currently available. Recent government figures showed 15% of smart meters are dumb, so you are far from alone. It’s no comfort, but other customers have far bigger problems than yours.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn this is issue that's only supplier can contact and chase DCC what for I asked smart metering department via costumer service without response and update untill today from metering team. It's showing how they care for theirs costumers 🤣
    Level 92
    @Martintel

I'm not defending the system or E.On Next, but there may well be hundreds if not thousands of people in the queue in front of you. Just saying....