How to request a refund Eon Next - A Step-by-Step Guide

Level 1
    @JoeSoap This is very helpful. I've emailed twice now requesting a refund. No reply to my emails! Even tried Messenger on Facebook.  I'll try again with photos, maybe that will get a response.  Thanks again for your information. 
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap pleased someone is getting refunds, I'm on my second round of emails to EON, EON altered my DD from £40 to £0, but it can be seen that is what I use each month, but the gov. scheme has now put me in over £200 credit which I need to pay my gas with British Gas. Eon do not seem to understand that I do not want to wait for this credit to be used up! I am due to move house in around 3 weeks time which is the other reason I have made the refund request. I am on a smart meter so they can see what is happening. Pleased I've got that off my chest anyway!
    Level 91
    @sixtysomething
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting a refund. It's your money and you're entitled to it back. If you gave them updated meter readings at the time you requested a refund then that should be sufficient... although photos of the meters seem to help. There's always the complaints process but if you're moving house soon then you would probably be overtaken by events. Good luck with it.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap Sadly my experience of requesting a refund has not been a happy one.

I first made my request for a £700 refund on 27 November. I had over £1200 credit. My DDs are currently £200pm. Photos of my meter & readings were all provided.

The request was rejected the day after - but they didn't tell me - I only found this out after chasing up for the refund when it didn't appear. Apparently they "do not send messages to say that a refund has been rejected'. Oh great, that's so helpful 🙄

So I repeated my request and asked why the first one was rejected. I was told there were "outstanding charges on the account". That was news to me - my account has always been up to date. I've never missed a payment & I submit meter readings routinely.

As I was told it would be it another "10 - 15 days" for the payment to be made I submitted a formal complaint about their failure to tell me about the rejection & the delay this would cause in me getting my money. The person responding basically hid behind "it's a business process" and "I don't have control over the fact that it is approved or rejected" - ???

The complaints escalation process seems pointless as emails to hi@eonnext.com, unhappy@eonnext.com and ceo@eonnext.com are all answered by the same person.

If the money is paid to me tomorrow - as their latest email claims - then it will be 2 months since my original request.

As soon as my fixed tariff comes to an end on 28th Feb I'm switching elsewhere.
    Level 91
    @Kc33
    Thanks for posting about your experience. It's important to hear the bad as well as the good. I hope you get your refund tomorrow as promised. You could still pursue your complaint, through to the ombudsman if necessary, if you're unhappy about how it has been handled. There's always a chance of some compensation.
    Level 91
    @Kc33

It seems that an up to date reading is a prerequisite for getting your money returned. If a bill is due within a couple of weeks they hide behind the fact that there will be charges soon.

A better tactic it seems might be to switch from fixed DD to variable DD. Same prices and your surplus credit is used up before you have to pay a bill again.

Last edited by meldrewreborn; 23-01-23 at 15:35.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn I provided an up to date reading with the refund requests on 27/11 & 28/12. My DD goes out on the 16th. So from what you're saying should I have timed the request to just after my monthly payment had been taken? Argh! This has been such a waste of time - both mine and theirs - due to their lack of communication.
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn I provided an up to date reading with the refund requests on 27/11 & 28/12. My DD goes out on the 16th. So from what you're saying should I have timed the request to just after my monthly payment had been taken? Argh! This has been such a waste of time - both mine and theirs - due to their lack of communication.

All i said was that they need to have an up to date reading, (so that they can bill your account to satisfy themselves that the return of your money to you doesn't leave the account in debit).
    Level 1
    Yes I see what you mean. I'm just so frustrated that they didn't tell me the request had been rejected in the first place, or why 😒 Such a simple thing they could have done, in the name of "customer service".
    Community Team
    @Kc33 hey 👋

How are you getting on with your refund?
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 04/05/24 🏖