Bodged smart meter installation

Level 1
    I have had an air source heat-pump running since March 2022 and a Solar PV system running for the last 2 months.

I had an EON meter ‘upgrade’ today. However, the heat pump is now constantly running on full, even with the thermostat turned off and the Solar PV system does not appear to be working at all.

I’ve tried all of the help options on the EON Next app but no one ever gets back to me. I called them and their answer was to speak to the people who did the initial installation of both heat pump and solar PV systems, as they must have wired them incorrectly - they both worked perfectly until today!

My question is has anybody else experienced this with EON and how did you get it resolved?
    I fear they’re using unskilled, unqualified electricians which is highly dangerous.
  • 16 Replies

Level 91
    @JJBenton
    yours is a more complex system than most and it seems likely that some errors have been made here. It is imperative that an experienced engineer revisits your installation to rectify ASAP.
    @Beki_EONNext @HannahD_EONNext @PeterT_EONNext @Han_EONNext @Bennie_EONNext @DebF_EONNext @Anasa_EONNext

if this meter swap wasn’t done properly it could well be dangerous and should be replaced as a matter of extreme urgency.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 19-11-22 at 09:24.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Thank you for your response.
    I have a local electrician coming to look at it it today.
    Level 18
    Thank you for your response.
    I have a local electrician coming to look at it it today.

Some air source heat pumps require powering down in the correct sequence, they should not just have the power “ cut” for example Mitsubishi models should have the indoor switch turned off before the outdoor isolator at the unit. If not it can alter the running of the unit when turned back on.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 19-11-22 at 09:48. Reason: Grammar
    Level 16
    Some air source heat pumps require powering down in the correct sequence, they should not just have the power “ cut” for example Mitsubishi models should have the indoor switch turned off before the outdoor isolator at the unit. If not it can alter the running of the unit when turned back on.

Didn't the designers consider the possibility of an unexpected power cut?
    Level 18
    Didn't the designers consider the possibility of an unexpected power cut?

Yes after a power cut the unit should be turned back on in the correct sequence as per the user instructions.
    Level 18
    Although some units have an auto start function after a power cut, this depends on the correct dip switch in the controller being flipped on during commissioning.
    Community Team
    Hi @JJBenton

I'm really sorry to hear about this - I'm not sure how this would happen to your air source heat pump after the installation of your smart meter.

Please let us know here what happens after the electrician visit, as they should be able to identify the issue. If this happened immidiately after the Smart Meter installation, your may need another appointment booking for an E.ON Next engineer to come out.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 92
    Yes after a power cut the unit should be turned back on in the correct sequence as per the user instructions.

Which is all very well if you have the user instructions. A friend of mine recently bought a house with a heat pump and the previous incumbent neglected to leave any paperwork. Plus where we live, power cuts are oftentimes a weekly occurrence. He had no end of trouble making it actually heat the house or provide hot water.

We figured it out in the end after a lot of googling, but decided eventually it wasn't really suited to a poorly insulated 19th century stone cottage so he paid to have it removed and replaced with a conventional oil fired heating system. It nearly halved his energy bills, and even more savings since October. The plumber who did the work reinstalled the system in a more appropriate property so my pal got a fair bit of his costs back. What he has saved on energy, he has offset the balance and is saving money going forward.

Heat pumps are great, but only when properly installed in the right type of property. Apparently this installation was done by a 'get rich quick' Green Deal outfit, since gone bust, who took the incentive money without any thought to the actual effectiveness of the system in this case.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 19-11-22 at 12:46.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 18
    Which is all very well if you have the user instructions. A friend of mine recently bought a house with a heat pump and the previous incumbent neglected to leave any paperwork. Plus where we live, power cuts are oftentimes a weekly occurrence. He had no end of trouble making it actually heat the house or provide hot water.

We figured it out in the end after a lot of googling, but decided eventually it wasn't really suited to a poorly insulated 19th century stone cottage so he paid to have it removed and replaced with a conventional oil fired heating system. It nearly halved his energy bills, and even more savings since October. The plumber who did the work reinstalled the system in a more appropriate property so my pal got a fair bit of his costs back. What he has saved on energy, he has offset the balance and is saving money going forward.

Heat pumps are great, but only when properly installed in the right type of property. Apparently this installation was done by a 'get rich quick' Green Deal outfit, since gone bust, who took the incentive money without any thought to the actual effectiveness of the system in this case.
    Never liked them myself, system has to be filled with a mixture of antireeze inhibitor , you can imagine how many get drained down and refilled direct from the water mains through the filling loop without the correct dosage of inhibitor. Mitsubishi had a problem in the early mid 2000's with some units catching on fire I believe they did a " recall" and swapped out all those affected I know I changed a fair few! I always referred to them as an alien in relation to conventional heating systems. The other problem is in really cold weather they cannot keep up with the demand of extracting " heat" from the atmosphere so more electricity is used.They also prioritise the hot water over the heating if connected to a cylinder especially if the back up immersion heaters haven't been set up to come on over night.All in All not for me.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 19-11-22 at 13:10. Reason: Spelling