Energy support payment

Level 5
    I’m sorry I’m so stressed. I don’t understand why this is happening or how to fix it. This has happened at the worst time too as I have two children and I have a disability and have had to give up working just last week so I really don’t need this stress
    Level 5
    As far as I know I only have one account number. All my letters from eon have all shown one number and it’s the same for both.
    Level 92
    @Chloe86

I understand your issue and do sympathise, and am just trying to help get to the bottom of why you didn't receive your credit.

As I said, when I moved into a flat years ago with prepay meters, I just assumed you put a fiver on the key every now and then and didn't need to inform the supplier that you were the account holder. It was only when I phoned up the electric board to have the prepay replaced with a credit meter that they associated me with the meter, and then gave me a refund of several tens of pounds. Apparently, the prepay meter had been installed for a previous occupant who had accrued a large debt, and the meter was set to not only charge for electricity but to pay off the debt over time.

My £5 a week top up was actually giving me about three pounds worth of electricity, and paying off two pounds of debt.

So, I'm just trying to ascertain whether both gas and electric accounts/meters are indeed both correctly registered to your name and address.

If you've just been topping up the electric, but the account is still in someone else's name at a different address
    ...they may have been sent your vouchers instead.

So First port of call is to check your statements are correct, have the correct name and address, etc. If not, that will need to be sorted by Customer Services, and then you will be issued with any due credits retrospectively. I'm assuming they are not smart pay as you go meters as these should have had any credit applied automatically, rather than as a cash payment to yourself in the form of vouchers.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @Chloe86
    So your statement shows consumptions for both electricity and gas, and shows all your top up amounts for each?
    Do you have the app and/or are you registered for accessing your account online? Or do you just get monthly statements in the post?

I'm going to tag @DebF_EONNext and @Beki_EONNext in this thread so they can get in on the action if need be, but my gut feeling is there has been some kind of glitch with the electricity account somewhere. If they say you have your gas, but not the electric from them, then there is some break in the chain somewhere. The MPAN and MPRN numbers for your meters MUST be on file somewhere.

Again, I really do sympathise. My significant other is elderly and disabled, and we rely to a great extent on grants and benefits to get by and when things don't go to plan... Well, I really do know exactly what you mean by stress.

We are really trying to help. Just bear with us and we will do what we can to try and help you sort out this mess for you.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 29-10-22 at 14:21.
    Level 91
    @Chloe86

Clearly if you've been in the same property for some time things have been going smoothly up till now. You've been topping up your meter OK. How do you top up? Do you have a card /key that you use or do you top up online. Is it at all possible that your electricity account is with some other supplier, and you have not realised? Trust me, its happened before!

I've never used a prepayment meter, so I'm not familiar with all the methods used so i apologise if I'm asking irrelevant questions. Does anything appear on any bank or credit card statements to indicate who is receiving the payment? Check the letters you have received to make sure that they refer to electricity specifically.

You can use this site to help track down the supplier:

Who’s my network operator? – Energy Networks Association (ENA)

once you know what region you are in you can contact the distributor for that region and they can tell you who supplies your residence.

Obviously, its the weekend and calls might not be answered now.

We here are volunteers - you are not in debate with E.On Next - unless one of their team gets involved. They have usernames with E.On Next at the end.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @Chloe86 @meldrewreborn

If you top up your key with cash at the Post Office or a PayPoint outlet, do your receipts say anything?
    you should have a reference number for the top up itself, and from what I recall, from 20 years ago, I'm sure the chitty said 'Southern Electric' or SSE or whoever sold me the power.

your meter may have Eon on it, but that was just the company who installed the meter at the time. It may subsequently have had the account moved to another supplier. @meldrewreborn 's advice to do the actual supplier check against your meter reference will tell you exactly where your electricity is coming from.

The UK power networks link is what works for me https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/he...hat-is-my-mpan
    Level 5
    Hello, thank you for responding, I let my frustrations get tue better of me.

I have always topped up at pay points with my electric key and gas card, both issued by Eon. I was in talks with Eon over lockdown regarding my electric meter malfunctioning and they sent an eon engineer to come and fix it. Had no problems since and top up as normal using eon issued key/card. Receive post for gas and electric by eon etc. This house was and is my first property since moving out of my parental home so have never had a different supplier anywhere ever. 14 years I have been with Eon.
    Level 92
    @Chloe86

ok, if you have paper bills, or online bills, please check that your paperwork and your meter numbers tally up if the meter has been changed or replaced at any time by an engineer.

Should be identical on the meter and the bill. If not, that's wherein the problem lies...

Your meter and bill should have something like this on them, and they should match.

Name:  download.png
Views: 382
Size:  6.2 KB

I'm sure we can now say for sure the only lot you need to deal with are Eon.next, so I'm now thinking it might be a physical meter reference problem.

Not too worried about your gas...just the electric, as that is where the support actually goes.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 29-10-22 at 14:37.
    Level 55
    @Chloe86

Clearly if you've been in the same property for some time things have been going smoothly up till now. You've been topping up your meter OK. How do you top up? Do you have a card /key that you use or do you top up online. Is it at all possible that your electricity account is with some other supplier, and you have not realised? Trust me, its happened before!

I've never used a prepayment meter, so I'm not familiar with all the methods used so i apologise if I'm asking irrelevant questions. Does anything appear on any bank or credit card statements to indicate who is receiving the payment? Check the letters you have received to make sure that they refer to electricity specifically.

You can use this site to help track down the supplier:

Who’s my network operator? – Energy Networks Association (ENA)

once you know what region you are in you can contact the distributor for that region and they can tell you who supplies your residence.

Obviously, its the weekend and calls might not be answered now.

We here are volunteers - you are not in debate with E.On Next - unless one of their team gets involved. They have usernames with E.On Next at the end.

@Chloe86

You can also use Ofgem's links to Find My Gas Supplier as it is an online portal that will confirm the suppliers of gas rather than phoning via the Network Operator.

Most if not all the Eectricity Network Operators have an online search tool like the above (Northern most certainly has) requiring just the address and postcode.
    Level 91
    @Chloe86

You have some knowledgeable volunteers on your case here and I’m confident that between them they will get to the bottom of where the problem lies. Hang in there.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.