EPG and fixed tariffs

Level 56
    @meldrewreborn

Yes indeed EPG will probably be dead in the water from July 1st for sure.

With only 7 days till the April 1st deadline the original guidelines for fixed tariffs have still not changed YET. So I'm either going to have to go with

1. Doing nothing and hoping that they can sort it out so that I am not disadvantaged.
    2. Trying to contact Eon Next mid-week (assuming that there is a continued lack of additional concrete information, as per the Original post in this thread, (because these guidelines were from 1st October - 31st March) to ensure that from 1st April I go onto Next Flex for both utilities.
    3. If I cannot get through to Eon Next pull the plug completely on them and go to another supplier with a £50 carrot and land on the EPG (if it can take only 3 days with some out there).

I'd rather have the information before April 1st but if not then hey ho I can live with that and will mull over and decide by say Wednesday next week at the latest.
    Level 78
    Where is the information to aid decision making?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg

I followed the link in your screenshot and found some info. Scroll down for up to date fixed tariff info…
    https://www.eonnext.com/electricity-and-gas/energy-price-guarantee?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_acc ount=E.ON-Next&utm_campaign=Acquisition-Brand-Core&utm_Adgroup=%7BAdgroup%7D&utm_keyword=%2Beon% 20%2Bnext&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNzqmfP3_QIV1-vtCh1Jng_tEAAYASABEgJ46_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

See following post for cut and paste.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 25-03-23 at 20:44.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91

Fixed tariff customers.

The government has introduced a floor unit price because some people will have fixed at much lower prices some time ago, meaning their annual payments will already be below the £2,500 average set by the government’s Energy Price Guarantee (EPG).
    Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas (1 October to 31 December 2022), 31.8/kWh for electricity and 6.4p/kWh for gas (1 January to 31 March 2023) and 16.6p/kWh for electricity and 2.2p/kWh for gas (1 April to 30 June 2023) will apply to fixed tariff customers to bring their unit prices down to, but not below, the floor unit price. Customers on fixed rate tariffs that are already below the floor unit prices will continue to enjoy those low prices, but won't receive a further discount for the duration of their fixed term.
    A small number of fixed price customers may not be brought down to the floor but they can switch to SVT which may benefit them more. We will write to these affected customers.
    The floor unit prices vary by region and payment type but for electricity the average is at 34p/kWh and for gas the average is at 10.3p/kWh for Direct Debit customers in Great Britain with typical energy consumption. These floor prices remain unchanged from 1 October 2022 through to 30 June 2023.

Standing charges.

For a typical variable dual fuel customer paying by Direct Debit, average standing charges will remain in line with the levels set by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 October 2022, at 46p per day for electricity and 28p per day for gas and will remain set at this rate until 31 March 2023. The government says that between 1 April and 30 June 2023 average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set by Ofgem in their price cap, at 50.4p per day for electricity and 27.7p per day for gas, excluding VAT, for a typical dual fuel customer paying by Direct Debit.
    For a typical variable dual fuel customer paying on receipt of bill (cash/cheque), average standing charges will remain in line with the levels set by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 April 2023, at 56.7p per day for electricity and 32.7p per day for gas and will remain set at this rate until 30 June 2023.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 25-03-23 at 20:41.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I tried to edit my previous two posts to tag you in but couldn’t do it. I thought you might be interested so tagged you this way.
    Level 78

Fixed tariff customers.

The government has introduced a floor unit price because some people will have fixed at much lower prices some time ago, meaning their annual payments will already be below the £2,500 average set by the government’s Energy Price Guarantee (EPG).
    Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas (1 October to 31 December 2022), 31.8/kWh for electricity and 6.4p/kWh for gas (1 January to 31 March 2023) and 16.6p/kWh for electricity and 2.2p/kWh for gas (1 April to 30 June 2023) will apply to fixed tariff customers to bring their unit prices down to, but not below, the floor unit price. Customers on fixed rate tariffs that are already below the floor unit prices will continue to enjoy those low prices, but won't receive a further discount for the duration of their fixed term.
    A small number of fixed price customers may not be brought down to the floor but they can switch to SVT which may benefit them more. We will write to these affected customers.
    The floor unit prices vary by region and payment type but for electricity the average is at 34p/kWh and for gas the average is at 10.3p/kWh for Direct Debit customers in Great Britain with typical energy consumption. These floor prices remain unchanged from 1 October 2022 through to 30 June 2023.

Standing charges.

For a typical variable dual fuel customer paying by Direct Debit, average standing charges will remain in line with the levels set by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 October 2022, at 46p per day for electricity and 28p per day for gas and will remain set at this rate until 31 March 2023. The government says that between 1 April and 30 June 2023 average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set by Ofgem in their price cap, at 50.4p per day for electricity and 27.7p per day for gas, excluding VAT, for a typical dual fuel customer paying by Direct Debit.
    For a typical variable dual fuel customer paying on receipt of bill (cash/cheque), average standing charges will remain in line with the levels set by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 April 2023, at 56.7p per day for electricity and 32.7p per day for gas and will remain set at this rate until 30 June 2023.
    Thank you 👍
    Level 56

Fixed tariff customers.

Many thanks @JoeSoap for spotting this. I had been awaiting a reply from @Beki_EONNext either in this thread and/or a change to the original guidance at the start of this thread.

The important thing to note for anyone in a similar position to mine is that contact has to be made with Eon Next CS if, as is the case with my April v18 tariff (even with the reductions), the fixed tariff is more expensive than Next Flex. The implication of the advice given on the main help pages is that such a transfer will NOT be automatic. This might be a problem should mails/emails never arrive.
    Level 56
    @Beki_EONNext

The initial page on this thread needs updating to take account of what has been updated on the main site. 👍
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I’ve yet to crunch the numbers using my v17 tariff rates to see how things compare with Next Flex. I have a feeling it will be a close run thing.

I agree that it looks like the onus will be on us to contact them to switch if we are disadvantaged by staying with our fix.
    Level 56
    @Mailman

I’ve yet to crunch the numbers using my v17 tariff rates to see how things compare with Next Flex. I have a feeling it will be a close run thing.

I agree that it looks like the onus will be on us to contact them to switch if we are disadvantaged by staying with our fix.

I re-checked my mumbers this morning and it is now clear that I need to make contact with Eon Next CS at some point before April 1st to get on a slightly cheaper tariff (Next Flex) compared to staying on Online v18. The cheaper SC of v18 is more than compensated for by the cheaper unit tariffs of the next iteration of EPG using my estimated consumption data.

Of course for very low users the SC might compensate. I ran some additional numbers and found I'd need to reduce consumption to ridiculously low amounts over the next 3 months to make it worthwhile to consider staying on v18 (300kWh electricity and 250 kWh gas) compared to an-already low anticipated usage 0f 561kWh electric and 697kWh gas (these numbers based on my usage for 2022 with very little scope for further reductions).

Name:  Comparison.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  73.2 KB
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-03-23 at 12:05. Reason: spelling