EPG and fixed tariffs

Level 91
    @Mailman

I've just checked my numbers for my Next Online v17 and have applied the full EPG of 16.6p for Elec and 2.2p for Gas and left the SC as per my fixed tariff. All figures are including VAT.

Elect has come out at 34.68p/kWh with 37.92p SC.

Gas has come out at 10.56p/kWh with 27.22p SC.

I can't find the April Next Flex rates for Eastern England right now to compare them with.

My v17 rates are E 49.63p/kWh and 36.112p SC ex VAT and G 12.258p/kWh and 25.923p SC ex VAT so I hope I've done my calculations right.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 26-03-23 at 10:55. Reason: Added a bit.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

I've just checked my numbers for my Next Online v17 and have applied the full EPG of 16.6p for Elec and 2.2p for Gas and left the SC as per my fixed tariff. All figures are including VAT.

Elect has come out at 34.68p/kWh with 37.92p SC.

Gas has come out at 10.56p/kWh with 27.22p SC.

I can't find the April Next Flex rates for Eastern England right now to compare them with.

My v17 rates are E 49.63p/kWh and 36.112p SC ex VAT and G 12.258p/kWh and 25.923p SC ex VAT so I hope I've done my calculations right.

The v17 rates after the new April EPG reductions and including VAT look right to me that is assuming the originals are correct 🤣 ( I must have checked mine at least 6 times).

The April regional EPG rates (for both the SC and unit rates) are contained in page 20 of this Commons document that I reproduce here.

I assume that Eon Next will be applying these rates as per this table to anyone on Next Flex (i.e. the EPG from April to June)

Name:  EPG April.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  60.7 KB

Time for some number crunching 😁
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-03-23 at 11:20. Reason: word insertions
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Thanks for checking my numbers and posting the chart. I’ll crunch when I get home from our trip out for a coffee 👍
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Ok, I've done the maths. I used last year's Apr-Jun consumption figures but applied some reduction to reflect my lower usage this year. It's a bit 'finger in the air' and we don't know for sure whether the new Next Flex rates from April will exactly match those on the table you posted. Based on my results I think I'll be about £3/month better off on Next Flex for the three months in question. This would be a saving of around 1.5% on my current fix. So what do I do?

We have predictions for July prices but we saw what happened to predictions last summer. I'm not going to rush into ditching my fixed rate. Once ditched there's no going back. I can always switch to Next Flex (or another fix) at any time in the future so I'll stick for now.

For comparison, my Elect consumption is nearly twice yours in the period and Gas a staggering 3.5 times as much 😧 Hopefully I'll get that down further than my predictions for this year so the benefits of me switching to Next Flex would be a bit less than I currently anticipate.

P.S. Have you noticed how June is spelled in the heading of that table? 😂
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 26-03-23 at 14:48.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

Ok, I've done the maths. I used last year's Apr-Jun consumption figures but applied some reduction to reflect my lower usage this year. It's a bit 'finger in the air' and we don't know for sure whether the new Next Flex rates from April will exactly match those on the table you posted. Based on my results I think I'll be about £3/month better off on Next Flex for the three months in question. This would be a saving of around 1.5% on my current fix. So what do I do?

We have predictions for July prices but we saw what happened to predictions last summer. I'm not going to rush into ditching my fixed rate. Once ditched there's no going back. I can always switch to Next Flex (or another fix) at any time in the future so I'll stick for now.

For comparison, my Elect consumption is nearly twice yours in the period and Gas a staggering 3.5 times as much 😧 Hopefully I'll get that down further than my predictions for this year so the benefits of me switching to Next Flex would be a bit less than I currently anticipate.

P.S. Have you noticed how June is spelled in the heading of that table? 😂

Yes it all comes down to your home's consumption as to what is best plus that added element of security (and no exit fees). I also plugged in my usage for v17 and found that v17 fix works out possibly a little cheaper by about £3 over the 3 months whereas v18 is a little more as you can see. So I daresay I would have stayed with v17 anyway for April-June.

We will all have to decide for ourselves what is best for us. I'm leaning towards a more optimistic view of things (compared to last year), pulling the plug on v18 next week thus reverting to the April EPG rates from 1st April and see how things pan out from there.

Good spelling of Nuje I agree 🤣
    @Mailman Great spot - thank you. All updated with the info from the website.
    I've popped our comms team a message again and hopefully we'll have an update for you this week. I know they've been working through it and getting comms together about it.

I'm off for 2 weeks (moving house yay!) so I've asked the comms team to reach out to the Community Team with an update when they have one. Thank you for being so patient. ✨
    Level 55
    @Mailman Great spot - thank you. All updated with the info from the website.
    I've popped our comms team a message again and hopefully we'll have an update for you this week. I know they've been working through it and getting comms together about it.

I'm off for 2 weeks (moving house yay!) so I've asked the comms team to reach out to the Community Team with an update when they have one. Thank you for being so patient. ✨

I think@JoeSoap who spotted the information contained in the only place that was not on my radar so he deserves the credit for spotting it in the Help Section whereas I was be looking for an update in the EPG Blog and your opening post in this thread which has now been updated (but I'll take credit for alerting you to that one 😁).

Hope your house move goes OK and that your new house does not throw you many unanticipated curve balls 🥂
    Level 55
    Made contact at 11.15 today (waiting only 10 mins) and have reverted to Next Flex from 01/04/23 for both utilities. Email/Account Message sent whilst on the phone which I checked and all correct. Efficiently changed and new tariffs visible on my account so cannot fault Eon Next's systems 😁. One less thing to think about. Looking forward to what might be lower costs post-July. 🧐
    Level 91
    @Mailman

Nice one. I'm erring that way myself now but I think I'll wait to see if the new Next Flex rates fall into line with those in your chart. Did you get any info on that when you called them?
    Level 55
    @Mailman

Nice one. I'm erring that way myself now but I think I'll wait to see if the new Next Flex rates fall into line with those in your chart. Did you get any info on that when you called them?

Didn't ask TBH - although account has been updated with Next Flex commencing 01/04/23 but the rates posted are the current rates. I'll be expecting a change in them post-April 1st.👍