Econ 7

Level 1
    Hi all.

I'd never really considered what was going on as a problem until now.

Probably my fault, but we are on econ7 rates, yet have never gained any benefit from them really as we don't have storage heaters.

Now with the EPG set at 34p/pkwh, i'm getting stuffed and having to pay over 42p/pkwh day rate, which i think is wrong, i'm guessing due to the night rate being 13p/pkwh.

EON have taken 17p off each unit.

The point of this is to try and let people know that econ7 isn't actually all its cracked up to be.
    Ive emailed EON asking to go onto a single rate tariff, and as yet, no reply.

Would that be because they're ripping me off via a loophole in EPG, due to the night rate being lower ?
  • 6 Replies

Level 91
    @sideshowbob

Depending on how long ago you contacted customer service, the main reason you’ve had no reply is that they are currently snowed under due to all the changes on 1st October.

It is taking many days to get a response to emails etc. and if you phone them you can be on hold for hours.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @JoeSoap we're having a smart meter fitted soon, so that would mean the econ7 meter being removed ? i'm wondering if it will go to single rate ?
    Level 6
    @sideshowbob

You do need something high usage like storage heaters now, but I only use about 10 - 15% of my electricity during economy 7 and I've always looked for the cheapest tariffs for both Economy 7 and single rate when choosing a new supplier, and almost every time the cheapest tariff for my usage was an Economy 7 one, and when it wasn't just putting the tumble dryer on during E7 would usually tip the balance, save once when it was cheaper to switch to a supplier that would bill me for standard rate without a change of meter.

Things have certainly changed now, I worked out I'd need about one third of my usage during Economy 7 just to break even.
    Last edited by Barrie; 11-10-22 at 20:41.
    Level 91
    @sideshowbob

I don’t think getting a smart meter necessarily means a change of tariff. You have requested a change of tariff and hopefully told them you were getting a smart meter fitted soon but have had no reply.

If I was you I would persevere in trying to make contact by any means possible to get this sorted before they come to change the meter. Also, if I couldn’t get through before they came then I would make sure the meter getting fitted was not E7.
    Level 1
    I’ve was moved from Symbio energy last year (only had one rate) on my economy 7 meter and have just realised that eon is charging me on the E7 rate. I’ve emailed and called but they have not got back to me . I’m paying way over what I should , I use 10% or less at night.They must know which customers are overpaying for there energy so should contact them .
    I did do a comparison and Ovo e7 rate surprisingly works out £160 a year cheaper than eon for me , so if they continue to be not to reply I will switch , crazy , but standard would be even less.
    I m on a smart meter and I know it’s free for them to move me to standard rate !
    maybe there is another no I can call?
    Level 91
    @Nippy make a complaint. Keep your records.

it’s not an emergency so you will have to wait for a reply from customer services.

Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.