Warm Home Discount Update

Level 5
    I guess so. Better than sitting on the phone for half a day.
    Level 92
    @JoeSoap the link mentions all different benefits that I don't claim so it looks like my eligibility is doubtful. The website also contains the enigmatic statement that I may qualify if "your property has a high energy cost score based on its characteristics".

Whatever that means...

Age of construction, materials used, type of construction, whether subject to exposure to wind, rain, etc. Whether you are or aren't on the gas grid, that sort of thing.

All very complicated, and nothing whatsoever to do with your EPC. All handled by the VOA.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    Thanks for that. Seems like the older and poorer you get the higher the hurdles become.

Apparently three times as many people qualify under this years rules. Those don't necessarily include all of last year's cohort.

I'm getting old, and I ain't rich!
    Community Team
    Last year I received the WHD on the basis of receiving the council tax pensioners discount. This didn't appear as one of the main qualifying benefits but the eonnext application form mentioned it. This year the same applies regarding qualifying benefits but I still receive council tax discount. Do I therefore still qualify for this year's WHD?

Is it the Warm Home Discount or the Winter Fuel Payment for pensioners that you are referring to @2old4rap? I only ask as you have mentioned a pension.

The Warm Home Discount is a payment through your energy supplier if you are in receipt of certain benefits, this year it is £150 previously you had to apply however now if qualify you will be paid this automatically (unless you live in Scotland where you still have to apply).

The Winter Fuel Payment is something different this is paid directly by the government (this payment isn't associated with your energy supplier) for pensioners this is usually around £300 however you can find out more about The Winter Fuel Payment directly on the government's website 👉 HERE 👈
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 09-11-22 at 12:00. Reason: grammar
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳
    Level 5
    Is it the Warm Home Discount or the Winter Fuel Payment for pensioners that you are referring to @2old4rap? I only ask as you have mentioned a pension.

The Warm Home Discount is a payment through your energy supplier if you are in receipt of certain benefits, this year it is £150 previously you had to apply however now if qualify you will be paid this automatically (unless you live in Scotland where you still have to apply).

The Winter Fuel Payment is something different this is paid directly by the government (this payment isn't associated with your energy supplier) for pensioners this is usually around £300 however you can find out more about The Winter Fuel Payment directly on the government's website 👉 HERE 👈

Hello Deb, thanks for your post. I am talking about the Warm Home discount. Last year (actually it was this year round about May I think), I applied through the eonnext website where one of the questions was did I receive council tax rebate. I replied with a yes and the WHD was credited to my account.

This year there is nowhere I can find reference to council tax in the list of eligible benefits so I was asking if I still qualify.

I have already had my letter from DWP about my Winter Fuel Payment.
    Level 92
    @2old4rap

Eligibility criteria have changed this year, as has the need to apply if you are in England or Wales.

Again, I'll post the relevant information for eligibility:

Core Group 1

You are automatically eligible for the Warm Home Discount if on 21 August 2022you were in receipt of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well). This group was formerly referred to as the 'core group' of those eligible.

Aside from being eligible, you also have to check that your supplier participates in the scheme (small suppliers especially may not offer it) .You must also check that your name (or your partner’s) appear on the electricity bill.

Core Group 2

Formerly called the "broader group", this group is comprised of those who don’t fall into Core Group 1 but may still be able to get the Warm Home
    Discount. This is because some suppliers also offer the discount to a ‘broader group’ of customers, such as low income households, especially those with young children.

In these cases, each supplier has its own eligibility criteria and a limit on how many discounts it will pay out. The standard requirements are:

• You're on a low income
    • You receive at least one of the following means-tested benefits: Income Support; Income-based Jobseekers Allowance; Income-related Employment & Support Allowance; Housing Benefit; Universal Credit; Child Tax Credit; Working Tax Credits; Pension Credit Savings Credit (PCSC).

Some people who qualified last year will not automatically qualify this year. That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 09-11-22 at 12:39.
    Community Team
    @2old4rap I have popped a message over to one of our managers who oversee the Warm Home Discount payments and asked for a bit of further clarification on this for you. He is a very busy man so I don't always get a response straight away but once I get a reply I will pop you an update on here 😊
    Level 92
    @DebF_EONNext

Hi Deb. Did you get passed my email from hi@eonnext.com re adding my partners name to my account? She has the eligible benefits, but the account is in my name.