Help with bill, still paying an under payment

Level 5
    Bear with me this will be long...I kinda lost my head and sense during the covid lockdown and didnt pay my gas and electric bill for a number of months! I was in a bad place at that time, silly girl!previous to this, i was paying via direct debit, £140per month and was generallyin credit or very slightlyin debit. I have been paying £278 per month for a long time to get my account sorted. This month i am finally back on even keel.Although the prices are changing and most bills are going up, I expected mine would at go down, as I have finished paying my arrears or at the very least, stay about the same that ive been paying to compensate for the rises. However, my bill going foward from my November payment is saying £334,meaning i actaully have a rise of £194. i know the government will be paying £66 of that but it still seems steep. When ive looked back over previous bills on my account, one for 63 days over winter last year shows i used £273, for slightly over 2 months. Does this seem right? Thank you to anybody who can advise
    Last edited by Yippeekyeyay; 05-10-22 at 13:00. Reason: Didnt know ypu cant have new paragraphs
  • 10 Replies

Level 43
    Hi @Yippeekyeyay

If you're on the Next Flex Variable then the prices have roughly gone up by a third from the 1st October. It's difficult to give advice on monthly payments because of the varying price of energy, and the fact that you've been trying to level up your account.

If you can, check your bills from the last 12 months and add up all of the kWh used, on your latest bill on the right hand side of Page 2 it should say what they think you'll use in a year. Compare the two total and see how much difference there is, if they close then you're revised payment is probably right.
    Level 91
    @Yippeekyeyay

I would just add that there has been much confusion in online accounts and some are taking time to get right. Have a look at your new tariff rates and just be sure they are in the region of 34p for electric and 10.3p for gas. They will be slight higher if you don’t pay by DD. Some accounts have been showing the original 80% rise until they get corrected.

Then, once you have ensured your tariff is correct, you can do as @Andy65 has advised and multiply your rates by your estimated annual usage (check this is reasonable against last year’s usage). You will also need to add the daily standing charges and ensure you are using VAT inclusive rates.

Once you have got your estimated cost for the next six months, add on any current debit on your account and then divide the whole lot by 12 to get what YOU think should be your monthly payment going forward.

It all sounds long-winded but worth the half hour or so that it will take. Armed with your information you can then contact customer service to negotiate your monthly payment amount from a position of strength.

Any confusion then post again and we’ll keep at it to help you sort this out.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 05-10-22 at 19:53. Reason: Added a bit.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    @Andy65 @JoeSoap thank you for your help. I woukd appreciate if you could look over my calculations? october 2021 to September 2022 my estimated elec was 4038.2 and gas 15491. My actual usage was elec 4011.9 and gas 14989.6. My estimated for the upcoming year is elec 4063.9 and gas 15446
    Level 5
    My rates for elec is 33.03 per kwh (rounded to 34) standing charge 49.55 (rounded to 50). Gas is 1024 per kwh and standing is 28.48 (rounded to 29). Ive worked out my full charge for both annually to be £3328.91. I am in debit by £71.61 but i have a pending payment not yet applied of £210.95. With his taken off, i make my yearly charge to be £3189.37. Dividing that by 12 it should be £265.79 per month. Does this sound right?
    Level 91
    @Yippeekyeyay

The estimated usage for the coming year looks reasonable. We may have a harsh winter so I wouldn't recommend arguing them.

Now take your estimated usage and multiply by your new tariff rates. Add the daily standing charge x 365. Ensure your are using figures that include VAT at 5%. Now add any debit on the account. Divide the total by 12 to get what you should pay each month.

Don't forget that you will get £66/67 off that DD amount for the next six months.
    Level 91
    @Yippeekyeyay

I used accurate figures and made it £256 per month. So you now have an idea. Maybe @Andy65 can check and confirm.
    Level 5
    @JoeSoap thank you so much, your figure is not far from mine at just under £266 so im guessing im calulating it kind of right. Hopefully @Andy65 will confirm and i can then contact them to lower my payments. By this, they are expecting me to pay £344- £80-90 over what it should be.
    Level 43
    @JoeSoap thank you so much, your figure is not far from mine at just under £266 so im guessing im calulating it kind of right. Hopefully @Andy65 will confirm and i can then contact them to lower my payments. By this, they are expecting me to pay £344- £80-90 over what it should be.

Hi @Yippeekyeyay,

Using your estimated usage I agree with @JoeSoap, £255.46 per month. Their estimated usage is so close to what you actually used over the last year that it makes little difference.
    Now you can be confident of what you're likely to be using and what you should be paying over the next year, making it so much easier when you contact eon-next.

Good luck.