Two Direct Debit payments going out

Level 1
    So i got a email this week that my direct debit will be going to £51 a month and that i'm eligible for the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) and that the new direct debit takes that in account.

However when i check my account there is two direct debit payments going out in October

From 05/10/2022, you'll be paying£77.35
    Each month on the 1st
    and
    from 01/10/2022, you'll be paying£51.00
    Each month on the 1st

It seems like a stealth increase as it's over my current Direct Debit and I am currently in credit with the account.
  • 1 Reply

Level 91
    @Paul126

Many people have had a similar notification and as confusing as it looks I think the consensus is that only one DD will be taken in October.

My belief is that two algorithms are at work - one applying the £67 EBSS reduction (the one on 1st Oct) and another applying the rate increase (the one on 5th Oct).

I don’t know your current DD amount but guess it to be £118. If my theory is correct then if your DD date is between the 1st and 4th of the month then you will pay £51 in October (£118 less £67). Your DD then rises from 5th October so your next payment, which will not be taken until November, will be £77.35 - where it will remain until March (under the EBSS)

If your DD date is from the 5th of the month onwards then your October DD will be £77.35 and will remain there until March.

From April onwards, your DD will revert to its new amount of £144.35 when the EBSS £67 reduction is removed from your your new higher rate (£77.35 plus £67).

That’s the way I read it anyway, although there is still some confusion surrounding all the changes coming from tomorrow.

Whatever amount your DD will be, it is still liable to change depending on your actual usage against your forecast usage.

I hope I’ve been clear with my thoughts on this, but please get back if you need any clarification.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 30-09-22 at 02:27. Reason: Amended for clarity
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.