E7 / E10 Mess!!!

Level 1
    Hi there.
    Last February, I got a smart meter and I was previously on E7 prepayment tariff but was moved to E10 tariff. My electric has always been through the roof, which I put down to having a storage heaters and not knowing how it all works properly if I’m honest.

Recently, as everyone is at the moment, I’ve had my eye on my smart meter and how much I’m using hourly- I’ve noticed that (what can only be as I’m using nothing else) my water heater and storage heaters start “charging” up at around 10pm(11pm in winter when clocks change- E7 timings).
    Could it be possible that I’m on E10 tariff but the timings for my heaters starting have not been updated from E7? I have not got timing dials anywhere to check this myself, am currently private renting so I didn’t know whether I’d have to go about this with my landlord or with E-On. **

I’ve also noticed on my smart meter that during what should be my E10 friendly hours, Im being charged up to 60p p/h for just my TV usage, but then other times 24p p/h for tumble dryer, TV, washing machine etc?! definitely something fishy going on.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, to be honest I’m rubbish with all this electricity stuff, I’d much rather a standard rate!!

thanks very much,
    Chelsea.

** (Note, I had a plumber fixing something on my water heater recently and he said something about being on E7 not E10)
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @Chelseapopsx

There are a few issues here which you have explained well and you may get advice on each issue from different quarters.

From a metering point of view it might be worth me bringing this to the attention of our volunteer meter expert @theunknowntech who may ask you for more information and photos of your meters.

From a dual tariff point of view I think @Andy65 is on this and knows a bit about it.

Finally for the fine details people like myself miss, @meldrewreborn offers sage advice.

I hope these three volunteers don’t mind me tagging them here but some posts get buried and I think collectively they could all offer good advice here.

You may have to eventually speak to customer service but hopefully any advice you get here will help when speaking to them.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 27-09-22 at 03:18. Reason: Added bits
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 43
    Hi @Chelseapopsx

From what you've said it sounds like you're on E10 but it will tell you on your bill. Have a look on the right hand side of page 2 and you should see something like this:

Name:  Estimated2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  57.9 KB
    That will tell you what tariff you're on. I think E10, unlike E7, has more than one cheap rate period which is why you're seeing the different rates with the TV and tumble drier.

The hours for E7 and E10 vary by region, if you think you're on E7 this thread will help you identify the hours.

I've never had storage heaters so I don't know how they're controlled time wise so it would be helpful if you could post a photo of your meter and anything else close by.
    Level 91
    @Chelseapopsx

can I ask which region you are in? And on page 2 of your bills/statements should be supply number denoted by a big bold S and then some figures in an oval ring. Can you tell us the three figures in the top line? Are you still on a prepayment meter?

There is only one supply cable entering your property. As I understand it smart meters can split the supply into two feeds, one for 24/7 items rate and one for off peak only like for your storage radiators. This second feed then supplies items you only want to use on the off peak rates. The main feed supplies everything else, but items that are on all the time like fridges and freezer will use peak rate priced electricity most of the day but then lower price electricity in the appropriate periods. So operating washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers in the off peak periods is financially advantageous - you know this already but others read these threads too.

Storage radiators had a bad reputation because they lacked key controls, and because they charge in the night and then release heat the next day could result in homes being too hot and having to release that heat by opening the windows. Modern storage heaters have thermostatic controls which adjust the heat coming from the storage radiators according to the programmed settings, thus substantially mitigating the earlier types' failings. To do this they must have two electric supplies, one from the "off peak" supplies for night time charging and a second from the normal supply, to operate the controls during the day when the off peak supply is off. In a previous existence i came into contact with a property with the older style of storage radiators. One crude solution to the overheating issue was to start the heating season with only one centrally placed radiator switched on and gradually turning more on as the temperatures dropped.

Clearly establishing your tariff and timings of "cheaper price " electricity is key to all this. Which is why I asked the questions right at the beginning. If you can answer those, it will greatly assist.

One final thing, we offer our best advice at all times and the names quoted by @JoeSoap above can be trusted to help you.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @Chelseapopsx Hi Chelsea you need to check your meter at the times the tariff should change. When EonNext transferred us from Eon they completely screwed up our meter.

The tariff is changing at E7 times but the storage heaters and hot water are changing at E10 times. So for instance at 14.30 pm our meter will be showing the peak rate tariff, and the heating is all on when it should be off.

It's easy to see on the in home display when the load increases, but you need to look at the actual meter to see the current tariff for certain as the IHD gets it wrong.