Discount for off peak electricity

Level 5
    I saw that there are plans to provide discounts for people shifting their electricity usage to off peak - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62626908 . Rather than this being the old Economy 7/10 idea, it is more flexible as it is done using smartmeters. I just wondered if Eon Next have any plans to do this?

I have followed all the sustainability guidance, and we have solar panels, heat our house with heat pumps, and our car is electric. We are retired. We have huge possibility to shift our power consumption to off peak (I think peak is normally considered to be 17.00 - 20.00). It would be a real help to us. It would also smooth out demand on the grid and help reduce the peak power needed to be delivered by the grid.
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    I read the article this morning. I held off from getting smart meters for a long time but even now I’m glad I succumbed.

If this scheme became a reality it would be a great incentive for those who don’t already have smart meters to go ahead and have them fitted, I think.
  • Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Indeed. It's unfortunately impossible to pull off this same trick with traditional meters because they merely blindly clock up total usage and have no way of knowing when the energy was used, just that it has been used. I think this might potentially require you to have the smart meter running in Half-Hourly Readings to get the plan to work properly, but there might be workarounds for anyone who prefers not to do that.

Either way, the meter still keeps full records locally anyway, it just doesn't send them anywhere without your consent!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 5
    Thanks for the answers.

So we think it would be a good idea, but there is no indication that Eon Next have any intention of doing it any time soon - particularly before this winter?

I have an additional problem. I have been keen to get a smart meter for many years and have repeatedly asked my suppliers (Npower and now Eon Next) to install one. However, we live in a rural location and smart meters rely on signals from mobile phone masts (I don't know why they can't use local wifi, but they can't). So they can't provide a smartmeter and there is no indication that they ever will. So even if they ever did discount off peak electricity, I couldn't get that discount - and many people in rural locations couldn't either. Rural deprivation strikes again :(
    Level 91
    I think the most important area for the fitting of smart meters is the Gas supply.

With ever higher prices there will be even more temptation to by-pass the meter to save money. If this is done inexpertly there can be leaks and subsequent life threatening explosions.

The main attraction for me in (other people) having smart meters is their ability to detect tampering / bypassing of the meters. If they reduce theft that helps the honest majority and helps keep them safer.

I have no expectation of surge pricing saving money for customers - even in the next 10 years, and evidence from elsewhere in the world confirms that. Plus our smart Meter programme is years behind schedule and can't even deliver a reliable service to those already connected.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @BEJB
    Hello. I read your message in the community with interest. The Low Peak discount scheme seems to be run by the National Grid, but I can see no information anywhere on how to join it.
    Eonnext have campaigned to increase the amount made to members of the scheme, so I assume they are going to be involved in it. Please let me know if you get any information about hows to join the scheme.
    We are also retired, with solar panels, but we have not tried a heat pump yet, as we are thinking of moving house,
    Kind Regards
    Level 43
    Hi @aspenwonder

Although it may be 'run' by National Grid, as far as the consumer is concerned it'll be through their supplier. So unless eon-next decide to offer it, their electricity customers won't have the option.

Octopus have been offering time of use tariffs for ages I think so this scheme will be a doddle for them, I'm guessing that for eon-next it may involve significant changes.
    Community Team
    Hey 👋 @BEJB,

You might find this thread interesting to read: Energy Shift Announcement 😊
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 04/05/24 🏖

Level 5
    @Andy65
    Thanks Andy. I am not at all technical, so any help to keep abreast of changes is very welcome.
    Kind regards