A little bit about Solar Panels and Storage

View Tag Cloud
    Level 6
    @Philt66
    Thats pretty much the response I received. They did send an engineer out who made it clear from the outset that he was not going to change the meter as it was a big job and it costs them to do it. They will only do it if the works order specifies that the meter must be changed. He didn’t even check the meter, just called his mate who said it was ok and left.
    I called Eonnext back but the call handler then lost it and threatened to remove my meters and charge me £700 for the privilege of doing it.
    Not bad for a household with 2 vulnerable people in it.
    Im now going to OFGEM once Eon have had my email for a while. I know they won’t answer it because historically they never have answered any emails.

Eonnext, you are a class act.
    @Anasa_EONNext I had Solar with Battery Storage fitted in Jan 22(not by EON). Its great however has not saved me much money yet as EON do not take into consideration my solar when setting my direct debit. I have managed to get it reduced from £165 to £130 however I am still over £400 in credit on my account.
    I also believe I have an issue with my Smart Meter as my Solar App & Dashboard monitors the amount I import from the Grid. I have monitored this as well, switching items off etc however my smart meter continually overstates the power I am suppose to import. I am waiting for a technician to visit and check my meter. Finally, EON charges my .29 a unit of electricity yet I only get 0.03 per unit for the 1806 kWh I have exported.

Octopus Energy pay their customers 15p per KWh of energy exported to the grid. Prices are capped so you will still pay the same so don't settle for a poor rate on your feed in tariff
    @Philt66
    Thats pretty much the response I received. They did send an engineer out who made it clear from the outset that he was not going to change the meter as it was a big job and it costs them to do it. They will only do it if the works order specifies that the meter must be changed. He didn’t even check the meter, just called his mate who said it was ok and left.
    I called Eonnext back but the call handler then lost it and threatened to remove my meters and charge me £700 for the privilege of doing it.
    Not bad for a household with 2 vulnerable people in it.
    Im now going to OFGEM once Eon have had my email for a while. I know they won’t answer it because historically they never have answered any emails.

Eonnext, you are a class act.

prices are currently capped so don't put up with poor customer support. I got no response whatsoever with a problem I had and as a result I switched to Octopus Energy.

They are now also paying me 15p per kWh for the energy I export to the grid and their customer service actually exists!!
    Level 21
    @Anasa_EONNext
    SEG at time of writing is 3p/kWh unless you paid extra to get EoN as your installer, then they'd pay a different rate which is nearly as little.
    EoN immediately get 17p/kWh subsidy plus 34p/kWh retail payment from someone who bought your electricity, who might be as close as three doors down your street on the same branch of the street low Voltage distribution cable.
    In January 2023 the subsidy will double.
    Does EoN intend to pass on more than 3p/kWh to solar home generators in 2023 ?
    Level 21
    @Anasa_EONNext
    Please clarify the units in the battery specification. Is that 5.2 kWh capacity, or 5.2 kW peak discharge rate ?

I have 8 solar panels 2kW(peak) south facing, no battery, work from home, opportunisticly time many things to wait until best sunlight of the next few days, and you won't believe how low the bills have gone. Insulation and behaviour change first, plus 2kW(peak) solar per person. Huge batteries are for people who prefer to buy more stuff than to plan adequately.

When saying how many solar panels you've got, please also say the kW(peak) which they add up to. There are many different sizes around and the sum of kW(peak) under test conditions best (from the datasheet) is indicative of how much you've got.

When talking batteries and thermal stores, I tend to use kWh but MegaJoules also work. 3.6 MegaJoules = 1.0 kiloWatt.hour
    Community Manager
    @wizzo227 Good evening and thank you for getting in touch, for further information on this your best bet is to contact the FiT team on
    0808 501 5218 who will be able to answer all your questions, in the mean time I'll see what I can find out for you 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣