1st of 2 SMETS2 meters installed, how to get the second?

Level 1
    I get Elec from E-on, gas from EDF (auto-transferred to those after collapse of previous suppliers). Both were SMETS 1 meters originally from British Gas, and have been dumb since leaving them a long time ago.

I had a new E-on SMETS2 electricity meter installed this morning. Arranged the appointment only a day ago, so surprisingly fast and efficient.

The friendly and helpful installer said that if I moved the gas to E-on too they'd easily be able to install a matching gas meter.

Called E-on and initiated the transfer - but was told by them they can only install a gas meter at the same time as the electricity one... so I'm now going to be in limbo.

Can anyone explain what to do to get this sorted? @PeterT_EONNext ? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mymuk; 27-05-22 at 14:10.
    --
    mym
    Glasgow
  • 3 Replies

Level 91
    @mymuk

So stay with edf and get the SMETS2 meter from them. My situation is exactly the same - except I really don't want any smart meters!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    This should be possible anyway. If a working S2 Comms Hub is already active when an attempt is made to install an S2 gas meter, it's merely a case of installing it as usual and then skipping all the steps involved to commission the electric meter, IHD and Comms Hub, picking up from the gas meter section.

All installers have a special mobile app anyway. Simply scanning the barcodes on the Comms Hub with said app will allow the engineer to pair and commission new devices to it like a gas meter, even if they weren't installed at the same time. Let's just say one of my friends happens to know a smart meter engineer. :)
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech that's sort of what the installer told me. There just seems no way to trigger a gas meter install via E-on themselves.

I can go on "the waiting list" apparently..