Billing a complete mess

Level 1
    I just wanted to check my rates against the April price cap changes and noticed billing is a complete mess. I'm on a smart meter (that appears to be working, though there's evidence the gas part has failed to transmit for a while?)

My last four bills are a mess.

1. Feb 3rd - totally OK - shows usage and costs up to Feb 3rd
    2. Feb 28th - Only shows gas - covers the period when I was switched to Next Flex so split in two
    3. March 21st - Only shows gas - one day short to the 20th
    4. May 23rd

- missed a whole month, no April bill?
    - Includes electricity but only gets me to Feb 28th, two months behind
    - Includes gas, split in two, presumably because of the price cap change
    - Gas only billed up to April 20th, over one month behind.
    - Shows gas being billed at 7.123p/kwh, which as I understand is above the price cap? of 7p/kwh?

Further, my meter reading shows that the Gas smart meter hasn't been reported in 36 days, though Electricity is up-to-date?

What on earth is going on?
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hi @SteveC5

I'm sorry about the confusion caused with your bills and to see that your gas meter wasn't sending us any readings.

It looks like there was a problem as your tariff was showing as an Economy 7 tariff with a Day and Night rate (both set to the same single rate costs, so you were being charged the same) however, due to this, we had some trouble to continue to bill your electricity on your account. I've fixed this now, so your tariff isn't showing as an Economy 7 tariff, as you have a single rate meter.

I've now taken a meter reading for the 11th May from your gas meter and for your electricity meter and sent you a new statement. The up to date statement also includes charges for April.

I've also set up your scheduled billing for both meters to send us a reading on 11th of each month (as it looks like this is the date your gas reading is sent to us) so your next statement will be on or just after 11th June and then on the 11th of each month onward.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pete 😊
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here
    Level 91
    @SteveC5

You're not the first or i suspect the last to report such problems. The meters do not reconnect very quickly and sometimes need a very firm nudge. @PeterT_EONNext has expertise in this area, he'll pop in when he's available.

The price cap for southern / south western area is what you quote. The 7p is a figure for the main stream media as they don't have the spare column inches in which to explain the nuances properly.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 27-05-22 at 09:10. Reason: added about price cap
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    I got the 7p figure from Ofgem - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...ap-affects-you

Hopefully Peter can help, I guess I'm two months of electricity and one of gas more in debt than I'd thought just reading what's listed...
    Level 91
    @SteveC5

The trouble is there are multiple price caps. There are 13 regions, and 3 payment methods so there are 39 DIFFERENT price caps just for gas. Electricity is even more complicated. The 7p unit rate for gas is an approximation that the press can just about get their heads around - but its not precise.
    Level 1
    Yep, all sounds great - thanks @PeterT_EONNext, I'll have a look back after June 11th and see if it's all understandable, and just how much my account owes!