Swapping Smart Meter to New Smart Meter?

Level 1
    I hate having to write a forum post to get this answered, but fine.

I logged into my E.ON Next today and found I could book a smart meter appointment - previously this had not been an option, I believe because I had a smart meter from an old provider that didn't work with E.ON. (nPower)

Anyway, I decided to book the appointment.. because I want a working smart meter!

But, the lack of information provided during the booking & confirmation process, I fear an engineer may well turn up like "mate, you already have a smart meter..."

So, Is it normal for E.ON to replace old smart meters with new ones? or have I been able to book this installation due to an error/glitch?
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    The problem is that older smart meters were on networks particular to the supplier that installed them, so when you switch the meters go dumb. There is an ongoing programme to upgrade the communications so that the meters will connect to the universal DCC system in much the same way that the newer meters do, and this will take another 12-18 months to complete. It seems that the upgrade to the communication is carried out remotely without the need for an engineer's visit. this begs the question as to whether the customers and suppliers are notified that the meters are live again and no longer dormant (the DCC prefers dormant to dumb - i wonder why?)
    Eon Next will not wish to spend money on installing a new smart meter when the old one is likely to become functional again in the medium term.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 24-04-22 at 12:35. Reason: add detail no enginers visit needed.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Since they don't seem to offer live chat or email to Next customers, or even an easily accessible phone number to contact them (though, I don't do phones.) I guess I'll have to wait and see what they do when they arrive.

E.ON Is aware I have a smart meter, as I always have a "We’re having trouble getting readings from your smart meter." message when I log on so the fact they've decided to slap a banner under that message telling me to book an installation, I'll just assume its on them if they arrive and decide not to do anything. 😎
    Level 91
    Eon Next does have email and telephone contact services, plus Twitter Instagram and Facebook. Whether any of them are actually any good at answering customers question is not, in my view, proven.
    Level 78
    Strictly speaking, there's only really a need to replace the meters if the migration to DCC via Enrolment & Adoption experiences a complete and unrecoverable failure.

However, if E.On Next wants to blow a bunch of cash on replacing the hardware anyway, let them do so. You're better off on SMETS2 hardware if you ask me so that you can more easily switch supplier if needed.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!