death of account holder

Level 1
    hi all,
    sadly i have had to create this account to ask a question on these forums as the main website and eon next phone lines dont give me any answers.

my father was a eon next customer, he has recently died and i am his NOK and the executor in his will.
    i have tried phoning eon next to inform them of this but all i get on the phone is offers for cheaper electric or "lift music" after waiting over 30 minutes on the phone with no human interaction i instead managed to obtain an email address for them ( which was not the easiest thing to do)

im trying to find out what the normal procedure is as ideally i would like to keep the electric on at my fathers unoccupied house but dont know how this can be done as his bank accounts are soon to be frozen.

has anyone any experience on hows best to deal with this?
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    Sorry to hear of your loss. You need to get the account, or a new account, put into your name as executor and have the bills paid from your bank account.

If the account was in credit you should be able to get the credit repaid to you as executor, likewise if the account had a debit balance this will have to be paid and charged to the estate of your father.

You may need to provide evidence but really this is just a matter of administration -you will not be cut off. But its a stressful time and companies don't always do enough to help the bereaved in these circumstances.
    Level 1
    hi thanks for your reply.
    after spending some considerable time trying to speak to someone regarding this matter and getting nowhere i have given up. i sent an email 3 days ago and have so far received no acknowledgement.
    my late fathers bank account is now frozen so no doubt when the next payment is due eon will attempt to contact my late father. at this stressful time i have found this to be the most stressful company i have had to deal with.
    Level 91
    @kev1744

Having acted as executor on 4 occasions myself, I know some of the problems that arise through insensitivity on the part of companies that one has to deal with.

When my mother died the Co-op insurance would only pay out £156 once probate had been secured. Unbelievable!
    Community Team
    Afternoon @kev1744 👋.

I am beyond saddened to hear you aren't getting anywhere with us regarding the unfortuante circumstances. It is not the impression we ever want to give off and I am sorry its proven to be such a negative experience.
    Usually in these cases, the executor in his will or next of kin would take over the account and sort out all remaining credits or debts with us and we can either let you take over the account if you are staying in the property, or move you away from the account if needed be.

I have sent you a private message to get this sorted out ASAP as we would never want anybody to feel this way, especially on top of what you are already dealing with.
    Once again appologies from the bottom of our hearts,
    Hannah ❤
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈