Not connected to Gas smart meter and not receiving bills

Level 1
    I moved myself and two elderly relatives to Eon Next on 2nd October and have issues with all three accounts. I've emailed Hi@eonnext.com but received either no reply or idiotic ones. Can someone please help?!

My account: I don't have smart meters but am not receiving any bills estimated or otherwise despite entering meter readings. I last entered a meter reading 21st Feb and received an email to say I would receive an up to date bill in 48 hours. Two weeks later still waiting.

91 year old relative: Has got smart meters. Only the electricity meter has been connected to and she is getting monthly bills for this. The Gas meter is still apparently connected to Bulb and last year I was told there were problems connecting to it. I eventually managed to get one Gas bill which was estimated despite me sending the actual meter reading but when I asked how they were getting on with connecting to the Gas smart meter, I was asked whether I wanted to report a faulty meter!

95 year old relative: Again has connected to the Electricity smart meter but is not receiving electricity bills. Has not connected to the Gas smart meter and also, although sending an email to say that the start Gas meter reading was agreed and having received the final bill from Bulb, Eon now say the start meter reading is disputed and have not charged for Gas from 2nd October to 16th November.

I can see from other posts that not connecting to the Gas smart meter is a recurring theme. Why don't Eon admit that they have a generic problem with this?
  • 7 Replies

Level 1
    Hi Annie,

I had exactly the same issue. Since moving to Next they haven't had a reading from the meter nor have I had a bill since Oct. I have just been on the phone to them and within 2 mins of them answering the phone I refreshed the website and had an updated bill and the meter readings! It took me being on hold for 30 mins but well worth it.

Give them a call!

Paul
    Level 91
    I have sympathies all the way round on this. The failure of so many companies last year meant that huge numbers of customers were forcibly migrated to new suppliers. These were more complicated than ordinary switching as customers credit balances has to be moved as well, plus the very large numbers of customers all at one time caused a lot of problems. Personally I had both my gas and separate electricity suppliers go under so both services were transferred to new suppliers. My transfers went fairly smoothly but then i didn't have (nor do i want) smart meters.

Smart meters add another level of complexity to the switching process, and we can all read on this forum the level of frustration caused when the smart meter readings don't get through to the new supplier, and the separate issue of the in home displays not working as they should or as they used to.

While i could feel smug that I missed out on the mayhem, I am very frustrated that I like all other customers are paying for this shambles, whether we have a smart meter or not.
    Level 78
    Hmm... A couple of puzzles to solve here.

I think I can ask @Beki_EONNext to manually generate that first bill and force it through, which should solve one issue. As for the other? That might need more investigating and I'm not sure what to recommend right now.

As far as I can gather from reading the thread however, smart meter issues are not the root cause - a read dispute can happen even without them and it's no different either way. It's best not to speculate about that without knowing the full story. I don't have a problem with people who don't like smart meters - most of the time I can talk to the user and reassure them which sorts things out - but there is a fine line between a misunderstanding and speculation. Please don't cross that line.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    @theunknowntech Sorry tech, it was my usual day off. I think it would definitely be worth reaching out to the team via social media if you have an account or by phone. They will be able to look at all 3 accounts for you and get things moving again. 😊
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech
    Regarding the ‘read dispute’, I think the following sequence of events shows that I am not ‘speculating’, I am simply repeating the confusing and mixed messages (in bad English) given by Eon Next. The only ‘line’ I’ve crossed is in going above and beyond in emailing 8 times to try to get you to charge for the missing period from 2nd October to 15th November. This is the first time I’ve written on a forum and it was a last ditch attempt to try to get sometime at Eon to help. I didn’t expect to be told off. @ Beki_EONNext if you could force the bill through I’d be grateful. Otherwise I’m dropping it and if this goes over a year, I understand the Eon Next can’t backdate the bill anyway, which my 95 year old relative will be most grateful for!

1. I supplied opening meter readings to Eon Next
    2. 14th October I received an email from Eon that said the "industry has accepted the reading you gave us. We will bill you from that point and your previous supplier is now in a position to give you a final electricity bill to the same point”
    3. I received final bills from my old supplier using these readings
    4. In December I asked why I had received no bills despite entering readings in November and December. I received a Gas Bill from the opening reading (2nd October) but the Electricity Bill was from 16th November, the date of the 2nd reading I entered. The accompanying email said “I have send you a latest electricity bill to you. I have seen on your account we are awaiting information from old supply which is why there is a delay getting this over to you.”
    5. I pointed out that the opening Electricity meter reading had been accepted as per point 2 above and was showing in the meter reading history. I got the reply “I have put though your opening reading and submitted I am now just waiting for it to go though now. Please allow a few days to get this done for yourself.” After puzzling over this for a while, I took it to mean that I would be sent a revised bill from the agreed start meter reading. I received nothing.
    6. On 9th January I entered manual readings and emailed again. I pointed out the account still hadn’t been charged for electricity for 2nd October to 15th November. I received a reply “I have rebilled you to the latest meter readings which the statement is on its way to you. The open supply read from your previous company is being disputed at the moment, however now we have the latest read from yourself it will be actioned now.” The resulting bill was just for the most recent meter readings I had entered.

Regarding the smart meters, my 95 year old relative is desperate for this to be sorted out and so am I! He was originally fitted with Smart Meters by British Gas which we were assured were Smets 2. In December, when Eon failed to connect to them, I was asked for a photo of the Electricity meter and was told they were Smets 1. We were asked whether my relative wanted to be put down for Smets 2 meters as a priority and we said ‘Yes Please’. However, we were told that “again we don't know when you will be elegible for one.”. Just after this, on 2nd January, smart meter readings started to show up in the Electricity meter reading history online so I asked:

• Is the Smart meter reading for the Electricity legitimate and if so, does this now mean you are now communicating with that meter?
    • Will you also be able to communicate with the Gas meter?

I also asked when we would start getting monthly Electricity bills. The replies were:

• On 14th January “I will look into why the electricity is not being billed so this matter will not happen again.” – result: still not received any bills, even though smart meter readings were recorded for the electricity in February and March
    • On 19th January “I have looked into the smart metering issues for yourself and the electricity is all good. With the gas, I have asked the smart metering team to look into this for me. Once I have got a response I will let you know of their response.” – result: radio silence since.
    Level 1
    @Beki_EONNext
    Hi, I've responded to @theunknowntech in detail but in case it doesn't get approved, could you force the missing bill through for one of my relatives if I give you the account number somehow? And regarding the smart meters, I am not on social media but am willing to undergo the stress of a lengthy phone call as long as I'm talking to someone who can genuinely look into the issue and help. Have you got a phone number for the 'smart meter department'?
    Level 91
    see the post by @Han_EONNext in the "Welcome and news" for the ways to contact Eon next.