Faulty Meters Maybe

Level 91
    Switching to another supplier is, at the moment, pointless as no better deals below the price capped rates are available. moving the one of the eon fixed rate deals is about the best possible at the momenet and probably until October 2022.
    OK I cant have smart meters apparently there's insufficent WAN signal :(
    Level 91
    @MarthasMum
    I'll make sure to disconnect my routers when they come then, as i don't want one even though the tariff makes it a condition.
    Level 78
    @meldrewreborn there are no routers in a Smart Meter setup, so you can't disconnect anything. If you want to know more about how the system works, you may be interested in reading one of the resources I use. It's at https://smartme.co.uk and both myself and my friends use it heavily.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 91
    @theunknowntech

Thanks for that. That site is interesting. I wonder if satisfied users realise how much the system costs them?

I was responding to the message earlier that a customer couldn't have a smart meter because of insufficient WAN signal. If the meters require some other form of signal (mobile for instance) that's a different situation. But even on that score our mobile signal is poor too so I may yet keep my current meter.
    Level 78
    There can be solutions to poor signal, depending on where you are in the country. In theory, all the checks should have taken place for @MarthasMum but they can be double checked again if there's any doubt. If you're in the Southern Territory, there's things like T1, T2 and T3 Aerials that can boost the WAN signal when used with an SKU2 or SKU3 Comms Hub. And failing that, there's the Mesh option with these Comms Hubs that can salvage the situation in certain environments. These options exist only for the Cellular based Telefonica WAN

If you're in Scotland or Northern England though and happen to be in the Northern Territory, insufficient WAN is less of an issue due to the Long-Range Radio based Arqiva WAN.

There's always costs no matter what, but sometimes costs can be offset against others, which can re-balance things. You may want to read that entire site to have a better understanding, rather than speculating. It makes my life a bit easier. :)

Sure, energy bills are the ultimate way of paying for the system, but that's no different to tons of other schemes that have existed over the years, some of which have probably now been paid off and removed from the bills.
    Level 91
    @theunknowntech

I understand your points. But I really do not want a smart meter, nor do i think they provide any substantial benefit to the consumer that justifies the continuing costs to the consumer. And we pay for them whether we have them or not. I would be happy never to get one. I'd be even happier if my bill was discounted because i don't have one.

If the government (OFGEM is a puppet in all this) said honestly that you can have this bit of kit and it will cost you £25 per annum, do you want it? - then people could make up their own mind. But the system is that you pay for them (hidden in your bill standing charges) and then you are invited ( really means forced by tariff terms and conditions) to get one of them with no additional charge as though they are free. The whole business is an elaborate con.
    Level 78
    If you don't want one, I won't force you and nor will anyone else. Simply request a long-term Smart Meter Opt-Out and be done. Only takes a few minutes and doesn't need complicated letters or anything. Both myself and Blastoise186 fully support the upgrade program, however if you read our several thousand combined comments both here and on the OVO Forum, you'll quickly notice hints that we're both very understanding. As soon as someone tells us they'd rather not upgrade, we back down instantly and try other solutions.

However, refusing to upgrade does mean you will have limited tariff options with all suppliers. I'm sorry to say this, but if you're not happy with the offers E.On Next are giving you, then you have the option to vote with your feet and find another supplier. I don't control the market and forcing a smart meter upgrade means the tariff can be subsidised, making it cheaper and having a slightly better chance of being more affordable.

With all due respect, if you wish to discuss this with me further, please create a new thread rather than hijacking everyone else's threads.