Smart View 2 - Can't turn it off

Level 1
    I am unable to turn the smart view 2 off, which means i have to recharge it every day if i want to use it. Ideally i just want to turn it on, read it and then turn it off until i want to look at it again. Aside from taking the battery out what can i do?

I saw another thread saying hold the off button down - this only gives you an option to restart or cancel.
  • 5 Replies

Level 78
    Hey there @emma123456,

I'm afraid it's a known issue with this particular IHD and it's an unfixable design flaw because there's no way for it to get any kind of firmware updates at all. The best I can recommend if you want to turn the device off is to basically take the battery out.

It is supposed to be possible to turn the device off via the power options menu, but my guess is that someone didn't check the code properly before releasing it...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech WOW thats unbelievable!!

@Beki_EONNext that is ridiculous, that a tool for monitoring your energy use can't be turned off so then has to be charged every single day in order to monitor and thus reduce your energy use/bill?! Do you have an official solution in the works?
    Level 78
    Unfortunately, fixing the design flaws in the IHDL SmartView 2 (and any future models) is beyond the control of any energy supplier because the devices are manufactured by a company called In-Home Displays Ltd. The only thing an energy supplier can do is terminate the contract with them and switch to a different brand, or find a way to convince IHDL to fix the bug before sending more devices out.

Both myself and my friend Blastoise186 had this device a few years ago when we were on SMETS1, branded as the SSE Smart Energy Tracker but it was actually an IHDL SmartView/SmartView 2. We both had many of the same issues you'll encounter except that we were actually able to reliably power ours off via the menus, suggesting the ones we had might have been the SmartView 1. These days, we both have two Chameleon IHD6 each because we're on SMETS2 now, which have proven a lot more reliable in general.
    @emma123456 I'm afraid I can't do anything about this. Perhaps we could start a petition or write a very good letter to the manufacturer to sort it out? I'm all for writing good letters!
    Level 1
    I've a Smart View 3 device and discovered this thread having faced the same problem of not being able to turn it off. Eon customer services have been unable to help and I concluded I would just have to do without the device.

Then at Frequently Asked Questions | In Home Displays (in-home-displays.co.uk) I found the following:

“Can I put my device into a low power/standby mode?
    Use the settings menu to change the Screen Brightness, Standby, Timers and Usage Light to reduce the amount of power the unit is using.

Setting the “standby clock” to “off “, adjusting the “Show Standby” value (ie 10 secs) and “Return Home” value (ie 10 secs), will return the display to the home screen after the selected time (ie 10 secs) from other screens. The unit will then go into a standby mode with the display screen turning off a further 10 secs later utilising very low power mode. The display screen will re-appear when any button is pressed, taking it out of standby.”

I’ve set my IHD up as indicated above and it now does exactly what I wanted – the screen goes black after 10 seconds (adjustable) until reactivated – so minimum power use and no distracting display when not wanted..

I think it's misleading to have a power button which does''t work as expected and a shame that the other literature I have seen from Eon doesn't explain anything about standby mode.