Two meters?

Level 78
    Seriously? Do NOT pay for the job as this isn't your fault. Let me get @PeterT_EONNext on the case as I just saw him online. Hang in there for a bit, as he'll need to review the entire thread as well for context.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 78
    When I think about it, there's also a possibility that you might qualify for compensation under the Guaranteed Standards of Service. I'm not sure if this exact circumstance comes in-scope, but I see no harm in double checking to be sure.

Ultimately, it comes down to a simple matter. The original upgrade should never have taken place unless a Five Terminal S2 Meter was available. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech I've figured out that the person who owned the property before had storage heaters that must of worked with the old set up, I can send a picture of the meters that was in when I moved into the property before the smart meter was installed? it was an old dial meter and the economy 7 meter, when the property got bought recently by my landlord I think he's fitted panel heaters? So I'm thinking the first engineer fitted single rate because of this? But left the old economy 7 second meter in anyway.. so I don't know if I can have that removed 🤔 the single rate smart meter he installed has 4 terminals but there's 5 wires that need to connect so I'm unsure what needs to be done here, spent all morning on the phone to multiple people but no one can seem to understand what I'm talking about & I've had to sort of try to figure everything out myself, as someone with autism I'm having a tough time trying to find heads or tails of what's happening, I've always just used prepay meters so I'm confused as hell
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech this was the old set up when I moved in, what the first engineer saw
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 78
    No worries, if you can post those photos, it would definitely help. I have Autism myself (as does Blastoise186 actually!) and both of us fully understand where you're coming from.

If you haven't already, I'd like to recommend signing up for the Priority Services Register as Autism is definitely on the list of qualifying circumstances - the Autism Act 2009 takes care of that. You might be able to set it up via self service, but otherwise customer service should be able to handle it. It'll be a lot easier for them to do that than it is for them to solve this puzzle. You can leave solving the meter issues you're having to me and the staff here on the forum. I can't action anything myself, but any of the moderators can do basically all the things that I can't.

If you're no longer using Storage Heaters, then it's very much possible that you'll no longer benefit from Economy 7 and you'll be better off switching to a flat-rate tariff. A Four-Terminal S2 Smart Meter can handle this just fine as long as the rest of the wiring is correct - a local electrician working alongside your landlord can assist with this. But the fact remains that the second meter is therefore no longer required and should be removed anyway. Removing that secondary meter should really be free on the basis that for starters, it's faulty and secondly I'd argue that the removal is necessary in order to complete an existing Smart Meter Upgrade job. It can't simply be left there!

If you have to pay, I'd discuss with your landlord first as they might agree to contribute towards the costs. Either way, I doubt they'd object to the removal of a dead meter.
    Level 78
    And as if this saga couldn't get any worse... Another possible safety concern has come up. I literally only just spotted it because the black cable is almost invisible.

That black cable is the Live meter tail, but you (nor an engineer!) would know for sure because somebody didn't re-fit an "L" tag to that meter tail after the upgrade. The correct order for a Four-Terminal Meter from left to right is usually Live In, Neutral In, Neutral Out and Live Out. This seems to be the case here as well, but there really should be a tag on all meter tails to act as an additional safeguard. There's no way E.On Next customer service can wriggle out of this one and it needs to be fixed. You should not be charged for this because it's a repair job which comes under the free tier.
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech another picture of the current meter situation just taken on flash so you can see everything better
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 78
    Ah ok, fair enough. The darkness made it impossible to see the tag. I'll accept that as valid then.

But this now adds more questions... Why is that second meter there at all... In fact, it looks like it's been dead the entire time you've been at the property!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech my friend who lives at the other side of the estate has the same thing, she's on prepay and has a second meter also the same as mine
    when we called to ask about it no one could tell us why this was.. she's with eon too, at first they told us it could be for separate billing for the heating and hot water and when we called to find out the people who would supply a second meter for such thing was like.. no? We don't even do that for your area so it could be a dead meter or something
    Nowhere has record of this meter, it does give a reading, if I press the button there's a reading, just don't know.. why..

when the first engineer came out he told me to call to ask about getting it removed and just having a single rate meter, which I've also tried asking & still got nowhere because no one seems to understand what I'm even talking about even though I explain it as simple and clear as I can.. emailed them pictures over 4h ago & still no call back yet, so they could see what I'm seeing
    Whenever I bring up this second old meter it's like they don't know what I'm talking about..
    Level 78
    Hmm... Interesting... I'll ask Peter to run an ECOES Lookup as he might be able to verify. The Meter Serial Number looks like SD08K00195 and based on my own detective work, the owner of it appears to be Northern Powergrid - formerly Yorkshire Electricity Distribution Ltd, hence the YEDL. That's about as much as I can pull without having ECOES access. However, I'm almost certain it's on ECOES somewhere!

It's a dead meter however, so it won't respond to anything you try to do. My guess is that it's been dead for several years and has somehow been forgotten about.