Meter reading help

Level 1
    could someone please explain these 3 readings please. I dont have storage heaters.

reagrds

colim

.Name:  14E006BF-CFBF-4DBD-A3DC-04825ACA8DB4.jpeg
Views: 3915
Size:  28.0 KBName:  CF664CF8-56DC-4A69-8AD5-653A15DB1AE9.jpeg
Views: 3452
Size:  35.1 KBName:  BE7B599A-5405-4856-8DDD-7F0F7BF0A85C.jpeg
Views: 3425
Size:  36.0 KB
  • 2 Replies

Head of Community
    Hey @17streethome

We love a meter pic here!

So I can half help straight off, then we might need to do a bit of digging.

The first and last readings are your day and night rates, as you have an Economy 7 meter - you can just make out a little 1 and 2 before the meter reading. The middle photo is just a total of the two together, a lot of meters have this feature for if you want to keep track of overall energy - that one has a small 't' for total before it.

Now in terms of which rate is day and which is night, it's not really possible to tell from the photo's (or at least not with my knowledge anyway!). There's an easy way to check though, just take a photo or write down rates 1 and 2 from your meter, go and boil the kettle or put your feet up in front of the tv for an hour and go back and write them down/take a photo again. You'll see one of them has got higher, that'll be your day rate and one will have stayed the same which is your night rate. I should probably have said you'd need to do it during the day/before 10pm to do this.

The final bit is whether or not you are/should be on Economy 7 prices - just because you have that type of meter doesn't necessarily mean you are or should be. You do need to use quite a lot of electricity at night to benefit from the prices, so for many of our customers they choose to switch to normal one rate prices (you still have to enter both readings but we just charge everything at the same rate). If you want me to check what prices you're on, just send me a direct message with your account details and I'll take a look.

Thanks

Hannah - here to spread positive energy
    Level 78
    Actually, there's an easier answer to most of those questions except the tariff one. And only takes 90 seconds... :)

You appear to have an Ampy 5235d-N Multi Rate Watt Hour Meter, which can be used for Economy 7 purposes. There will be a Timeswitch or Radio Teleswitch nearby to control the times that the meter switches between the two rates. Whichever rate number is currently flashing is the active rate and the one that's solid is the inactive rate. It's best to do this test at around lunchtime for this reason because then you'll know for sure. However, I suspect Rate 1 is probably the Day rate and Rate 2 is probably the Night rate. How do I know that? Magic.

So... Simply check whether the 1 or 2 is flashing at lunchtime. Puzzle solved!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!