Smart Meter appears to have been changed without any notification!

Level 2
    We have had no problems with Eon until Eon Next was "invented".
    1. We cannot now see our Fit Meter account to input a reading.
    2. The Gas Smart Meter appears to have been changed without any notification.
    3 Said Smart Meter no longer sends Gas Meter reading to Eon.
    4 It bears no resemblance to any of the Smart Meters described by Eon and there are no instructions on how to read it. Button A and Button B do nothing.

We have NOT changed suppliers - the only thing that has changed is that Eon has become Eon Next.

In desperation I have input the same Gas Meter reading which was read by the Smart Meter on 25/11/21. It has told me that this is nonsense as we haven't used any Gas since 25/11/21. Of course it is nonsense, but as I can't read the meter, I'll just have to keep inputting the same reading until someone sorts it out!

It's amazing that Eon is still able to create bills and process Direct Debits after the switch to Eon Next, but the Smart Meters have stopped working.

It's not just us - my 91 year old father's Smart Meter no longer works either, but at least I've been able to read his meter and get a bill.

Is ANYONE at Eon prepared to sort this out???
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 2
    Best Answer
    Thank you. Someone from Eon has now been in touch and supplied instructions on how to read the meter. It involves pressing "6" 4 times for the Electrcity Meter and "9" once for the Gas Meter. It appears that the problem has been caused by the move to Eon Next and is why the Fit Meter account has disappeared.
    Level 78
    Howdy!

I'm theunknowntech, a forum volunteer who travels around. I can't access your account as I don't work for E.On myself, but I can try to help you figure this out.

Could you show me some photos of your meters please? I can almost always find the instructions for how to grab a meter reading, and it sounds to me as if you've got a different one that the instructions don't apply to.

It can also take up to six weeks for Smart Meters to reconnect after switching supplier, which includes cases where you were automatically migrated for any reason. If it was communicating properly before, it should resume comms within roughly six weeks of going offline, but if it goes more than eight weeks you'll want to flag that with customer service.

As for the FiT Meter, that'll be on a different account. I don't have anything I can think of there that I can advise on, so I'll need to ask a moderator for help. Bear with me for a bit!

I'm now monitoring this thread, so I'll be alerted if you reply.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 78
    No worries. It sounds like you've got SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters then. Both myself and my friend Blastoise186 know them well, despite never having one ourselves.

If you need help again, feel free to stop by.