U6 gas meter replacement to U16

Level 1
    Hello all,
    I'm new to here.

I have confirmed by SGN that I have an existing U6 gas meter and as such I am due to have it relocated from inside the property to outside - Perhaps 10 meters closer to the road.

SGN tell me they can only move the existing meter and my supplier must replace it.

I have been told my requirements will exceed the specifications for the current supply and will need it upgraded to the next tier - U16? I understand SGN commit to the road upgrade.

What is the process to arrange for E.On to upgrade the meter once it has been moved, please?

Costly?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kindly,
    Philip
  • 1 Reply

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Howdy! You've reached a friendly local unknowntech.

That's correct. If you need an upgrade of this type, it has to be initiated via the supplier as the supplier owns the meter and is responsible for it. You can't go direct to the Gas Transporter for this reason. They are however, responsible for everything up until the Emergency Shut-Off Valve, hence why SGN are prepared to dig up the road in order to move the supply as-is. It most likely would be U16 as well, as that's the only upgrade path from U6.

If memory serves, you might be able to get this done for free in terms of the Meter Exchange itself, but there might need to be a site survey that you'd pay for. The exact costs for that varies between suppliers, and I don't have the list handy unfortunately. You'll probably want to chat with customer service about this, as they'll be able to look it up for you and make the arrangements.

I'll be here if you get stuck.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!