Time of Use Tariff Saves Me Money

Level 21
    At risk of somebody else mentioning the name of somebody else's trademark price-every-half-hour smart meter electricity tariff, has anyone else noticed that all the half-hour prices overnight from around 23:00 BST to 07:00 BST tonight are nil or negative electricity pricing ? As in between 2p and -2p /kWh electricity for those on the price-every-half-hour deal.

I won't be a complete pig over this; I won't switch on every fan heater I've got, but were I to do so, that would spend less than £1 to severely overheat this small well-insulated ordinary house.

What I will do is switch on the small wall-mounted heat pump to draw 0.7kW and deliver about 2kW of heat, both for half of the time. Expected cost is much less than £0.10 for expected gain of several kWh of heat to one room overnight.

The cause of this overnight electricity glut is likely to be a lot more wind than average, so those who can use it should.

This kind of bargain does not often happen. This time-of-use pricing deal won't suit everyone because it is extra-expensive at after-school time 4pm-7pm, recently going over 40p/kWh. I just don't use much at those times, and preferentially use the cooker and heavy appliances at less expensive times. Daytime <20p/kWh and occasionally much cheaper is available to those who bother to use it.

Name:  price13oct24.png
Views: 8
Size:  2.5 KB
    Last edited by wizzo227; 1 Hour Ago at 19:26.
  • 0 Replies