Time of Use Tariff Saves Me Money

Level 21
    @geoffers
    Thanks. It was quite satisfying to see that the electricity wholesale price at Nordwhatsit (£/MWh) closely resembled the retail price which I pay, with passthrough of the near-nil price hours during the windy weekend of 20th-21st October. Intermittent renewables are going to do that; they don't always conveniently fit the Economy-7 timetable of 40 years ago, so we should want methods in place to exploit the windy hours whenever we can. passthrough of near-nil prices by the half-hour did work for me to get my house to preferentially use near-nil CO2 electricity last week.

I noticed that on the deal which I'm on, 4-7pm is consistently always most expensive, so between those times I use less than I usual. For example no cooking in the big oven, heat pump and room heaters OFF between those hours.

When I was 4 years old, my Mum worked out a good trick to tell us that "the telly doesn't work" at particular times of the week, notably Saturday mornings. She'd secretly switched it off at the wall, and we weren't allowed to touch the switch at the wall. Could that approach help economiser households ?
    Level 21
    Well, the bill is in for the past month. And the average number is ...

Name:  bill23oct2024.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  30.0 KB