Time of Use Tariff Saves Me Money

Level 21
    At risk of somebody else mentioning the name of somebody else's trademark price-every-half-hour smart meter electricity tariff, has anyone else noticed that all the half-hour prices overnight from around 23:00 BST to 07:00 BST tonight are nil or negative electricity pricing ? As in between 2p and -2p /kWh electricity for those on the price-every-half-hour deal.

I won't be a complete pig over this; I won't switch on every fan heater I've got, but were I to do so, that would spend less than £1 to severely overheat this small well-insulated ordinary house.

What I will do is switch on the small wall-mounted heat pump to draw 0.7kW and deliver about 2kW of heat, both for half of the time. Expected cost is much less than £0.10 for expected gain of several kWh of heat to one room overnight.

The cause of this overnight electricity glut is likely to be a lot more wind than average, so those who can use it should.

This kind of bargain does not often happen. This time-of-use pricing deal won't suit everyone because it is extra-expensive at after-school time 4pm-7pm, recently going over 40p/kWh. I just don't use much at those times, and preferentially use the cooker and heavy appliances at less expensive times. Daytime <20p/kWh and occasionally much cheaper is available to those who bother to use it.

Name:  price13oct24.png
Views: 31
Size:  2.5 KB
    Last edited by wizzo227; 21 Hours Ago at 19:26.
  • 2 Replies

Level 46
    At 3am 57.7% was wind generated @wizzo227. TOU tariffs are good for those that can, and want to manage their usage. I know a fair few people who just wouldn't be interested and would rather pay a more expensive flat rate for convenience.

There's quite a lot on YouTube that have seemingly turned managing their TOU/Solar/EV into a serious hobby. Those on flat rates can get surprising results just by switching stuff off and managing their appliances a bit better.
    Level 91
    I don’t yet have a smart meter but I’m sceptical that the UK population will take to TOU tariffs in great numbers. If they require people to continually monitor their usage and be reactive to both low and high prices, I think that most people will lose interest very quickly.

I can well imagine that offers to reward cutting consumption at peak times might be well received, but that might be as good as it gets.

personal use of battery storage might well be a winner - so doing on a small scale what seems to be impractical on the national scale.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.