October is a month of mental health awareness

Community Team
    Hey Community

Mental Health Awareness & October 10th World Mental Health Day

A subject very close to my heart ❤

Now the month of October is dedicated to raising mental health awareness and trying to help people wherever possible. Mental health conditions such as Depression, Anxiety, PTSD would be something I could sit here and talk about all day about, from my own perspective and experience. Hopefully by the end of this thread we have raised awareness and we can get some people some help or get people checking in on loved ones and people who might just need a hug 🤗 or a fist bump 👊

There are lots of conditions that fall under the mental health bracket, I spend my day speaking to people, friends and strangers. It's the people who you think who are ok that seem to have the worst conditions or symptoms. The shock is something that blows my mind 🤯 You just never know, which is why it's important we're all kind to one another

The strongest people have the hardest fight, if your reading this and you do have a mental health condition, remember how strong you are and that you will get through this 💪 Sometimes we all need a little help 🤝

Types of Mental Health Conditions

• Anxiety disorders: These include panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and phobias
    • Mood disorders: These include depression and bipolar disorder
    • Eating disorders: These include anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder
    • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): This is a type of anxiety disorder
    • Psychotic disorders: These include schizophrenia
    • Personality disorders: These are another type of mental disorder
    • Neurodevelopmental disorders: These are another type of mental disorder

I want to touch on PTSD here, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with this, it's been challenging. I want to start here with saying after lots of support, lots of help and lots of self care, I'm through the worst. We have good days and we have bad days. My colleagues after reading the next attached slide, might have seen some of these symptoms from me and had no idea or will read that I have suffered with this and be shocked.

I'm a confident person, not one to stray away from a challenge or to put myself out there to help someone. I have trained martial arts for about 15 years now and hold a Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The skills learnt in my training really do help me day to day. We call it human chess, you have to think, when you step on the mats, for those 2 hours nothing else matters, it all just disappears.

Training has been a huge part of my life for me, without it my energy goes into a negative spiral. I took some time off after being diagnosed and my world nearly went out of control. This is why I believe finding your self care routine is key in making it through whatever you're dealing with. It could be anything from, going for a walk with your dog, to spending some time alone enjoying a coffee or with a friend who will listen to you, going to the gym or even cooking a healthy meal for yourself and the family.

I would never have been able to talk about this even 12 months ago, however if my experiences can show you that you just never know who is suffering and maybe this can help someone, then that is something worth the share. If you do suffer with anything and you do want to talk, pop me a DM - There will be no judgement at all, any of the guys on the Community Staff Team will be more than happy to lend you an ear for however long you need it.

Talking is important however only when you're ready too, the road to dealing with anything is time and not putting pressure on yourself.

You just never know what people are going through and that cliche of 'BE KIND' not just to someone else, to yourself.

Other types of Mental Health

• Behavioral and emotional disorders in children
    • Dissociation and dissociative disorders
    • Paranoia
    • Op-positional defiant disorder (ODD)
    • Conduct disorder (CD)
    • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
    • Disruptive behavior and dis-social disorders

Eon Next do a lot of work with staff to help with Mental Health, we often see the self check-in or self reflection picture. We have dedicated people who we can speak to if we need to.

The picture above, often taking a few moments to take a moment to analyze the moment, have a personal check-in and again recognise when self care is needed.

Threads that might help

• We have - Move for your mind by Emma (Emma has recently left the Community but was a huge figure for mental health in the community)
    • Next is - Mens Mental Health Written by Connor another very honest view which has my admiration.
    • Do you know we work with MIND - A post written by myself Mind 250,000 reasons to celebrate
    • Eon Next and our PSR - We want to know about any condition you have, it's important. Check out this thread - The PSR

Links to Services that could help

Getting the right help is important, having someone who will understand well....just listen. Talk to your local GP and ask what services are available. We have some links below that might be of some use to people if they ever need to reach out for help.

There are some podcasts and books out there that could also help, one is called 'The Chimp Paradox' It's free on a music streaming service. I've listened to lots of podcasts and audio books over the years. If you want to know more please pop me a DM. It can help the way you approach certain situations etc.

Link to the Mind website - Mind - Get help now
    The NHS offer a talking therapies referral - NHS Talking Therapies
    We also have the Samaritans
    Then finally - SOS - Silence of Suicide

Well that's it from me, remember if you need to talk, then please do get in touch. We might not be medical professionals here on the Community however we will listen and have a conversation with any of you.

Touching on MIND again, Eon Next have recently agreed to extend our partnership with MIND for a further 2 years, MIND do some incredible work and this is fantastic news 🎉

Thank you for reading and I hope this helps someone or puts someone in the direction of getting help ❤

Appreciate you all 💙

Last edited by Lee_EONNext; 6 Hours Ago at 11:26.
    Have a solar related question? Pop me a tag! Need our customer service teams? Click here! 📣 for ways to contact us
    Community Manager
    Wow @Lee_EONNext Thank you so much for sharing this it takes a lot of courage to be open and honest and of course it all helps with healing and getting to a better place. The more we talk and share our stories the more we can help each other. It's great to see how you've worked to come out the other side and be a better for yourself and your family. They say what doesn't break us only makes us stronger 💪💙
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣